Sign In   Register

Topic

mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #18857

• rayb's Avatar Topic Author
  • rayb
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
its about time my 1998 mgf had a decent service one that i will carry out myself, i believe the last owner had neglected her, she runs fine tho.took her for a 80 mile motorway trip last week no probs, shes had a cambelt and coolant change im looking at changing
1. spark plugs
2.ht leads
3.fuel filter
4. air filter (changed to a induction kit)
5.oil and filter

not sure what alse i might of forgot, what s.plugs and leads do you guys use or reconmend
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #18870

HT leads the best choice MAGNECOR 8mm you can mail for pricing and pn to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Looking to the age and miles you should evaluate replacing the brake fluid, it would be a good opportunity to checks your pads wear.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #18871

HT leads the best choice MAGNECOR 8mm you can mail for pricing and pn to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Looking to the age and miles you should evaluate replacing the brake fluid, it would be a good opportunity to checks your pads wear.

I have just replaced the clutch fluid as well. It was manky, black!
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #18886

• rayb
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
oh thats one i missed out clutch and power steering fluid

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #18891

oh thats one i missed out clutch and power steering fluid

Won't need the power steering fluid, mate.:lol:
David

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19088

its about time my 1998 mgf had a decent service one that i will carry out myself, i believe the last owner had neglected her, she runs fine tho.took her for a 80 mile motorway trip last week no probs, shes had a cambelt and coolant change im looking at changing
1. spark plugs
2.ht leads
3.fuel filter
4. air filter (changed to a induction kit)5.oil and filter

not sure what alse i might of forgot, what s.plugs and leads do you guys use or reconmend

Ive been looking into doing this aswell. Looking around Ive seen kits from £30 to £200 so am a little confused as to which is best! Again lol.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19097

Induction kits are a real benefit to Mk1 Fs which are strangled air wise. The Mk2s and Tfs are much better and a decent replacement panel filter would be good enough if you re-routed the air feeds to give cold air.

Having said that I replaced our air box(mk2) with a Pipercross Viper cold air feed system. The car seems to breathe more easily and certainly sounds much better. Oh yeah!:woohoo:

I managed to get a second hand unit for £40 and a new feed pipe for about £15.
Look on ebay for induction systems from cars of about 1800cc, not just MGf/Tfs.
Mine came off a VW Golf, but the filter unit is identical. ;)
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ned

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19102

As the engine on the car I bought was ok, and I didn't know s*d all about cars, I started by upgrading internally and externally.

I am approaching the end of my initial wants list and am now looking towards engine upgrades and have started a list for this. ;)

I was looking at the K&N induction kit, which appears quite a bit cheaper than the Pipercross. What's the difference, apart from price pleae?

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19105

The pipercross Viper is an enclosed filter with a cold air feed directed into the end of the filter.
This reduces loss of cold air and more importantly prevents the hot air of the engine bay being sucked into the filter.

The K&N kits I have seen have an open cone filter with a cold air feed directed at it. The problem for our cars, having a generally much hotter engine bay, is that open cone system soaks up heat more than the enclosed systems.

You can get the K&N and make your own enclosure. I believe a Rover 800 series air box works well.
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19110

OK - I need to do a bit more research, as most of that was Martian to me :lol:

I've only just worked out what all the parts of the exhaust system do :ohmy:

Last edit: Post by Laz1957.

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19112

• rayb
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
i have just fitted a closed air induction kit to my mgf cost me around £40 from a local car shop, certanly wouldnt pay halford prices. the top end rubber hose to connect to the filter was a bugger to fit so i popped it in the oven for 5 mins. now fantastic

Re: mgf service 13 years 5 months ago #19123

Induction kits are a real benefit to Mk1 Fs which are strangled air wise. The Mk2s and Tfs are much better and a decent replacement panel filter would be good enough if you re-routed the air feeds to give cold air.

Having said that I replaced our air box(mk2) with a Pipercross Viper cold air feed system. The car seems to breathe more easily and certainly sounds much better. Oh yeah!:woohoo:

I managed to get a second hand unit for £40 and a new feed pipe for about £15.
Look on ebay for induction systems from cars of about 1800cc, not just MGf/Tfs.
Mine came off a VW Golf, but the filter unit is identical. ;)

David, really great post amte. If it's not too much trouble could you put up a link showing exactly what you are talking about for us newbees please?

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT