Sign In   Register

Topic

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17284

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So I've now discovered that the Goodyears on the back of my TF are in fact GSD3s. Together with a pair of ContiSport Contacts on the front it's not an ideal situation. In the dry everything appears unstickable but with the recent downpours it seems that I need to be very sensible in the wet.
Now I don't have a problem with being sensible, indeed I'm a great believer in driving according to the conditions but there's a nagging doubt in the back of my mind now so I need to get four new tyres.
The big multiples seem useless, "Have some Pirellis on the back and leave the fronts!" and my local independent only has Falken 912s which seem to be a bit of an unknown on a TF with the only feedback I've seen saying they're not great in the wet.
Toyos are like rocking horse poo and even Nexen's don't seem to be available in the right size.
About the only option I seem to have is Yokohama S.Drives.

Does anyone have any experience of Yokohamas on a TF or F?

Part of me thinks I should just wait for Toyos but I need to use the car every day so leaving it to wait is not an option. Also the shortage of Toyos doesn't seem to be a one off so what happens if I do get some and then get a puncture and need one in a hurry.

Sorry for the rambling rant but I'm looking at the persistent precipitation and would rather be on rubber I can trust.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17286

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I stick to track day compounds... they give the best grip by miles, and wear rate isnt too bad...
just about to put Toyo R1-R's on my MGF, they are the R888 compound but designed more for damp/wet...

Also Yoko AO48s or 38's are great (although the AO48's dont like too many heat cycles, and the Toyos seem to last longer)... no idea about the cheaper yoko's tho.

Seloc paid up members get about 25% off tyres at Camskill.com who are generally cheapest anyway. Can definately recommend them, been using them for years.
What sizes are you running?

planning on going 205's all round on the F.

Oz.

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17287

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm sticking with the standard sizes on the TF so 195/45R16 on the front and 215/40R16 on the back.

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17293

paid up members get about 25% off tyres at Camskill.com who are generally cheapest anyway. Can definately recommend them, been using them for years.

Wish I'd known that, I've bought 3 for my ZS from them recently, highly recomended.
I then used blackcircles website to locate a local fitting centre to put them on.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17294

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Wish I'd known that, I've bought 3 for my ZS from them recently, highly recomended.
I then used blackcircles website to locate a local fitting centre to put them on.

Thats for SELOC members (South east lotus owners club) :) but membership is only £10 a year and you get loads of discounts!

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17296

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
After almost entering the work car park sideways, I wasn't alone as the entrance is a nasty slippery concrete spiral ramp, I've ordered the Yokohamas. Getting them fitted on Saturday so will give them a quick test and report back.

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17314

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Don't be quick to judge. Most tyres need a good couple of hundred miles to scrub in. They may feel a little slippy until then.

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17323

From what I remember the Yokohama S Drives were specifically designed for the MX5. I don't know if that makes them good though.:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17329

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

From what I remember the Yokohama S Drives were specifically designed for the MX5. I don't know if that makes them good though.:dunno:

That's enough reason for them to never go near mine then. ;)

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17336

I've had Falken 452's on Meg since I got the 16" wheels and find they stick really well. Quite well priced too.

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17338

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I've got Falkens on the ST and they work well but not sure I'd use them on the TF. Who knows though, when my beoved Toyos are no longer available.

Where have all the tyres gone? 13 years 6 months ago #17345

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well thanks to the excess of information about them on the Yokohama website I know know that the fronts spin slightly more slowly than the rears.
195/45R16 Static Radius 10.7" 910 Revs per mile
215/40R16 Static Radius 10.6" 916 Revs per mile

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT