Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #36160

I wouldnt want to change the appearance of my 115 so I think I will buy another car so i can fit one. Plus do the cooling outlet mod as well. Has anyone on here done this on an MGF? If so did it cure the excess lift over the bonnet?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #36165

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Stan I'm sure it would greatly help with the light front end. Have you experienced the KH splitter on an MGF? It is a fantastic splitter and greatly improves high speed handling, I would put it very high on my list of mods to an MGF :yesnod:

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #36166

Stan,

I can endorse PQD, the K&H splitter is a simple mod that has a big impact and doesn't really alter the look of the car.

T

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #36178

I havent got an MGF, yet.. Its possible I may buy that 1996 VVC in Scotland to save it,, and a splitter would bo one mod it would need. . I'm a big beiever in them, the ST front one on the MGB was one of the best things I did to that car. I'm going to put the Cupra one on the TF even though its much better than the F. As well as handling better at speed they reduce drag and save you fuel..
The cooling air leaving under the car is all wrong aerodynamically, but the F/TF are not toys like the Elise and some thought was given to packaging them so they can be used as cars.

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #36180

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I agree with the above, at top end speeds you can feel the front end of the car start to life ..
If however you do not drive above 70mph you will be fine without a splitter ..
I was my first Mod and I would not be without it :broon:

Last edit: Post by .

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #36216

Sorry to barge into Clive's thread but this is related and LAZ did ask for a pic. :whistle:
I picked these carbon fibre mirror caps up on E-bay after reading about them on the Lotus forums.
(Bad influences those Lotus folk!) The Elise uses the same mirrors as the MGF/TF and there are a number listed,
at a range of different prices of course. I got my set at a pretty reasonableprice. (from a place in Texas if I remember.)
They aremade of real carbon fibre, not crappy vinyl, and are very thin and attach using double sided tape. The fit is good, not perfect though. (It probably depends who trims them after they are removed from the mould.) I sealed all but the bottom edge using black silicone sealant and they look good.
They would go really well with a Carbon fibre bonnet. :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laz1957

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #36431

Look very nice Rich :thumbsup:

have you got a pic of the edges, so I can see how they look from te 'viewing' side please?

I'm starting a diff thread re these - so please post there ;)

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #38041

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Just updating this thread as I forgot to post these new pics.

Paul (Kameleon) kindly went to check out the new Carbon Fibre bonnets and trial fit it to his car. This was his post:

Anyway a swift roofless drive 30 miles to Hampshire on crisp Sunday morning and a quick stop for a McDonalds' breakfast I've had the pleasure of trial fitting the first of the Carbon Fibre bonnets from CJJ's design.

Bare in mind the mesh is just laid on there and looks odd because it doesn't match my OEM on at all, but you get the idea! Bonnet weighed in at less than 5KG, once the FG frame is added it's probably going to nudge it over ever so slightly.

Now there are a couple of imperfections as per an earlier post, because the bonnets are not produced in a vaccuum there is a chance of tiny air bubbles getting between the top-coat and the carbon material. You can see that in the photos below. You don't notice them from a distance and there is a chance you'll get less or more as each bonnet is made individually.

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 3 months ago #38042

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
OK guys. The time has come for the original investors to decide:

a) If they still want a bonnet.

b) Whether they want Fibre Glass or Carbon Fibre.

The pictures of both are on this thread, so if you can have a look and make your decision.

The way I would prefer to do it is when you are ready you Paypal me the money and I will hold it while the guy makes the bonnet.

This give him, me and you protection. I'm not saying you would, but if you say Carbon Fibre and then later on back out before paying, this means I end up paying for it unless I can find another buyer.

It also protects you as I won't release the money until the bonnet is finished to the standards shown. If it is well below the standard shown then your money will be held until it is rectified or returned if he is unable to or won't. This won't cover you for minor blemishes such as the few bubbles shown in the Carbon Fibre, but will cover you if it is obviously badly flawed.

Also. You don't need to pay up this second. If you won't have the money until April, for example, then let me know and we can plan to make yours in April.

Hope that all makes sense.

Just a a side note. I have asked him to redesign the bracket that holds the mesh in place so that it follows closer the contour of the vents. This should cut down on the edge that sticks out into the airflow and reduce lift/turbulence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young, PQD44

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 2 months ago #38094

Just caught sight of this thread, when it started I had no idea I would ever be able to get an MG so been reading through.

Personally I'd be more interested in the boot lid, however the pictures don't seem to be there anymore, is that still a goer or did that fall by the wayside?

Having said that, the bonnet is tempting, but I'm wanting to put a fuel tank in the spare wheel section for a future LPG conversion I have planned. Would there still be room for that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 2 months ago #38101

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
I liked the boot as wel
here's a link
http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/component/kunena/9-mgftf-pitstop/21068-new-carbon-fibre-boot-ideas#21068

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Re: New fibreglass bonnets. 12 years 2 hours ago #48053

hello
i am daniele from florence , italy. i own a 160vvc and i am looking for a fiberglass bonnet for my mg tf.
can you contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ?

thank you

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT