Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Oil Additives 13 years 10 months ago #14234

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Was wondering about putting some in to protect engine from cold. Has anybody used them, Molyslip or slick 50. Or is it best to stick with some decent oil.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Oil Additives 13 years 10 months ago #14238

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
What do you mean by cold? Assuming you live in the UK then the standard oils are normaly more than up to the challenge.

Oil Additives 13 years 10 months ago #14244

I think opinions are divided on these additives, but I did add Slik 50 to my old Capri. it didn't do any harm AFAIK, and did marginally improve fuel consumption.

I think if you use Magnatec oil, it's already got the additives in.:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Oil Additives 13 years 10 months ago #14245

I used to add slick until I switched to Magnatec - no need now. Also some additives actually begin to block the filter with the Molybdenum particles or whatever they use to cause the 'slick' effect.

Oil Additives 13 years 10 months ago #14249

Use Castrol GTX Magnatec, which was the MG Rover reccomended oil and you wont need additives, regular oil changes are essential and use a genuine MG Rover filter, i have heard that some of the cheap filters only wrap up the metal deposits in paper and send them round again!!

Oil Additives 13 years 10 months ago #14252

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
From cold, as in first start of the day. The service is due soon, before i do it i was thinking if there was any benefit of adding any additives to clean oil.
Will stick with the Magnatec.

Oil Additives 13 years 10 months ago #14253

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Aha. Wrong end of the stick then. I thought you were talking sub zero temps. I thought it was an unusual question in summer :)

Oil Additives 13 years 10 months ago #14271

I always empty old oil. Refill with cheapo Asda oil and some sludge remover from Wynns, run it till it's warm, then empty that crap out too. Only then do I change the filter and put in the Magnatec. Done that on Meg and Michael the Range for 5 years now. The oil seems to stay clean much longer. Plus Michael is almost on 160,000 miles and still going strong!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT