Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13747

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys
just a quick question, i have purchased some Gaz adjustables for the Mrs MGF, as well as some lowering knuckles...

never had such a simple job of swapping shocks over, however...

How the hell do you fit the lowering knuckles?

does anyone have a nice how to guide on how to do this on a MY2000 MGF?

Have never played with a hydragas based car before.

how much dismantling does it require to get the old knuckles out of the hydragas units?

Any help appreciated as i want to sort the suspension out myself, and just get russel to fit the new DVA head i have had done since my HGF... Also added Piper cams too, and a Neil Willetts TT Exhaust :)

Just want to get the car back on the road now ASAP...

Many thanks
Oz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13748

Sounds like you've been busy :yesnod:

Not sure if there's a guide on here but over on t'other site - http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=290506

Whereabouts are you based? You will need someone to pump up the suspension again afterwards unless you have your own pump.

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13749

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Based on surrey/hants/west sussex border, just off the A3 near liphook and bordon...

Do i need to let the hydragas down in order to get it all out then? thats a bugger... was hoping i could just dismantle the suspension arms, and drop out the old knunckles and pop in the new ones with the hydragas in situ...
(then get the car fully Geo'd)...

Im new to the MGF's, my car is a classic Lotus (Excel) which is pretty much track prep'd and is about to get a Jag XKR 500bhp V8 supercharged engine! oh i cant wait for that! (525bhp and 980kgs!)

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13750

Yep defo need to let the hydrolastic fluid out - if you don't the unit will most likely 'pop' as you take all the weight off it. There's 400psi pressure in them things! However once you do let it all out they are extremely easy to work on as unlike springs there is no chance of it springing up and chopping your fingers off once deflated.

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13751

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Yep defo need to let the hydrolastic fluid out - if you don't the unit will most likely 'pop' as you take all the weight off it. There's 400psi pressure in them things! However once you do let it all out they are extremely easy to work on as unlike springs there is no chance of it springing up and chopping your fingers off once deflated.

bugger, will have to get russel to do that then!

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13754

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
You don't fancy having a go then?

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13759

bugger, will have to get russel to do that then!

I have a pump and offer a mobile service to people in the local'ish area :yesnod:

I also fitted lowering pins to me F along with the Gaz adjustables around about a year ago. PM me if I can help at all :)

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13762

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Nice one mate. The community strikes again.

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13766

I have a pump and offer a mobile service to people in the local'ish area :yesnod:

I also fitted lowering pins to me F along with the Gaz adjustables around about a year ago. PM me if I can help at all :)

and Dans car sits nice and low, about 3 feet lower than mine does after he repump the suspension to factory spec.
He doesn't know it yet but when I lower mine I'll have him over agin...................

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13773

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Any help would be appreciated!!

problem is that the car is Sort, so any physical help would have to come to me! (suspension is also currently dismantled) and i need to replace the Cat, both Lambda sensors, and the Exhaust!!!

Also need russel to fit the new head i have (bought a complete new head which has been DVA treated - polished, ported, and gas flowed, with Piper fast road cams, adustable timing cams, and also tested for hardness), then have to get someone to supply cambelt tensioner (of either type), plus cam belt, and new water pump too...

not going to be a quick job i fear!

Russel doesnt seem to be returning my calls have left 2 messages with him, and emailed him once too...

PS; i generally pay for help with beer and take-away food :)

Oz

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13807

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Russel normally gets back to people. He may be away or busy at the moment. I'm sure he'll get back to you when he can.

Suspension Rebuild... 13 years 10 months ago #13830

I know that Saint Russell is very busy and as CJJ has said he normally responds right away, he could be on holiday, keep trying ~ having spent so much money on the head it is worth getting a Moto-Build water pump, they are twice the price of the standard one but have a brass impellor which does not rust and fall off!! the hydraulic tensioners do not need replacing (unless its missing) it is the manual ones that must be replaced with the cambelt. i assume that you are also upgrading the bottom rail, some stainless steel underfloor pipes are a good idea too (£60)

Russell normally likes wonga as well as copious amounts of tea!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT