Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12869

• kara's Avatar Topic Author
  • kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Ok so I think I've managed to track down the source of the brake lights not working (well actually now they are permanently stuck on!). Looks like the brake pedal is a lot looser than the other pedals. Basically what's happening is if I position my foot underneath the brake pedal and lift my foot up it turns the brake lights off but obviously I can't drive around with my foot jammed underneath the brake at all times! :lol:

So looks like maybe a nut or bolt needs tightening? Anyone got any ideas how to tighten a pedal? :dunno:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12873

Don't the pedals all fit to the cross bar with a nylon bush? It could be that is worn maybe?

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12875

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

Don't the pedals all fit to the cross bar with a nylon bush? It could be that is worn maybe?

Ah ok... well in that case what on earth is causing them to be stuck on? :dunno: Basically at the moment whatever pushes down on the plunger/switch is not pushing down far enough to turn the lights off when not braking so any ideas what the problem could be?

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12887

Ah ok... well in that case what on earth is causing them to be stuck on? :dunno: Basically at the moment whatever pushes down on the plunger/switch is not pushing down far enough to turn the lights off when not braking so any ideas what the problem could be?

Shouldn't there be a return spring where the the pedal shaft rotates on the main lateral shaft? Maybe its broken or dislodged:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12893

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

Shouldn't there be a return spring where the the pedal shaft rotates on the main lateral shaft? Maybe its broken or dislodged:dunno:

I think I saw a spring when I was putting the brake switch back in so I'll check it out! Thanks David! :thumbsup:

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12932

• Visitor
  • Visitor
You'll need to pull on the switch further out of the housing. It's selve adjusting in the other direction ;) Just pull the stem.

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12933

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

You'll need to pull on the switch further out of the housing. It's selve adjusting in the other direction ;) Just pull the stem.

You know those moments in life when you think why the hell didn't I think of that! ...Well that's me right now! We had this problem with Slave's first plunger so I used to have to pull over and pull out the switch and reset it but for Lord knows what reason I completely forgot all about it after replacing the plunger with GW's one. I'm soooo embarassed! :o:o:o But on the plus side I can't thank you enough mate for slapping some sense into me! :lol:

:thanks:

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12953

Kara if the plunger is out of adjustment, glue a small washer on top of the mating face of the pedal, this will give you some more adjustment
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Loose brake pedal? 13 years 11 months ago #12979

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

Kara if the plunger is out of adjustment, glue a small washer on top of the mating face of the pedal, this will give you some more adjustment

Ooh that's a great idea! Thanks mate! If it becomes a recurring problem I'll give that a go! Rep left! :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT