Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

tf exhaust strap/band 14 years 3 weeks ago #12473

Hi there I have a TF 03 mod which I discovered had a loose strap/band round the exhaust box supposed to be connected to a bracket fixed to the Cat mounting .
This had rusted away n was loose.
I didnt seee any real need for this as it wasnt doing much any way so removed it tilllI can get it welded or a replacment one .
I am asking if any one has any suggestions as to what it is there fo?
Doesnt support the box,just seems to keep it in check with the rest of the system
1,does it need one
2,what does it do
3.will there be long term probs if it is removed permanent ?
Thanks
Vex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

tf exhaust strap/band 14 years 3 weeks ago #12474

Meg's was rusty as well, and when I swapped the downpipe it fell apart... so I took it off.

The exhaust is as stable as it was still so I have no plans to put this back-box rusting piece of rubbish back!

I would not worry about it to be honest.

tf exhaust strap/band 14 years 3 weeks ago #12476

the support strap just bolts onto the unsupported joint between cat and downpipe so its a bit of a waste of time IMO.

My MGF ran without one when it fell off, then I never bothered the fit a new one when fitting a Milltek to the MGF and again when fitting the Milltek over onto the TF
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

tf exhaust strap/band 14 years 3 weeks ago #12501

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I think it just stops any excess movement on the joints which could cause blowing, but a lot of cars run without them.

tf exhaust strap/band 14 years 2 weeks ago #12664

Spoke to a Forman Mechanic at an old rover dealer ship today about this bracket ,and he said it was there to provide more support to the middle of the sports exhaust.
Thats the reason for it
Although from what I have seen the only support it gives is one on a horizontal as it is connected to the Cat fixings,no support vertically at all .
Like CJJ says seems onlt to provided stabitlty from Cat pipe to silencer.
Puzzled still <although runs fine with out it,would be nice to find out the real reason it is there(or not at this present time)
Thanks
Vex

Re: tf exhaust strap/band 13 years 1 month ago #22646

Removed mine recently (coroded) when replacing back box. Seems o.k .without - so far

Re: tf exhaust strap/band 13 years 1 month ago #22652

The reason I had to replace the OEM backbox on mine was that the box had rusted through under this strap.:yesnod:

I replaced with a Daytona SS system which came with a Stainless strap, so won't have that problem again.

As to what the strap actually does?:shrug:

The back box is supported on two hangers anyway, so I suspect it's more to stabilise the cat/ downpipe, and the joint between them as Clive says. :shrug:
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT