Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12341

My dad's looking into buying a written off (panel damage only) 1999 Jaguar XKR Supercharged convertible that's going cheap. Second hand they normally go for £14,000 and this one's going for.. well a lot less. Needs major panel work but the internals are all fine and well cared for. Blue exterior, cream leather interior.

He shocked me by saying I could have it, although it's more like just a long term loan as he'd be the owner and I'd be the driver. But I'd need to sell my MG. Is it silly to grow so attached to a car that you automatically respond with "NO! EFF OFF!" even when you'd be massively trading up? :shake:

On the plus side, you lot would get first dibs on my car and all the bits I'd be taking off it to sell seperately.

This is still a pipedream and I'm torn over how I would respond if we actually got it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12342

Well it's a lovely car but it wont drive like the TF - yes it will be quick but you wont be bale to chuck it round corners and feel like you're on a skateboard with seats!

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12343

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X
Wow thats a toughie, go with your heart dude, whichever has the greatest pull is the one :)

good luck with your decision

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12344

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
You won't be able to go to MG meets and hang out with us dudes. Some may see that as an advantage.

What I am basically saying is, nice car but will the community come with it?

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12345

The Jaguar club people are all over 50 and smoke pipes. Not exactly exciting. :lol:

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12346

• figo
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Going Topless
TBH when on runs the XKs were closely matched with the TF on the twisties. on the straights obviously it was a different story.. but ask yourself will you get to really use that SC V8?
MG TF 135 135 Bhp

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12353

The Jaguar club people are all over 50 and smoke pipes. Not exactly exciting. :lol:

I could start smoking a pipe....:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12355

My dad's looking into buying a written off (panel damage only) 1999 Jaguar XKR Supercharged convertible that's going cheap. Second hand they normally go for £14,000 and this one's going for.. well a lot less. Needs major panel work but the internals are all fine and well cared for. Blue exterior, cream leather interior.

He shocked me by saying I could have it, although it's more like just a long term loan as he'd be the owner and I'd be the driver. But I'd need to sell my MG. Is it silly to grow so attached to a car that you automatically respond with "NO! EFF OFF!" even when you'd be massively trading up? :shake:

On the plus side, you lot would get first dibs on my car and all the bits I'd be taking off it to sell seperately.

This is still a pipedream and I'm torn over how I would respond if we actually got it.

Hmm a dillema indeed, things to bear in mind when pondering your decision.They are really thirsty, about 15 mpg round town, 30 on a run if you barely breath on the throttle, and about 20 - 22 combined. If you drive it sportingly you will only get single figures. Also facter in a new set of rear tyres every 8000- 10000 miles. But having said that you can really make them fly, good for 175 + if derestricted.
Chris

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12360

Panic over, the deal fell through. I'm still one of you. :grouphug:

I'm actually quite glad. I did a little reading the the 1999 XKR's (especially the the V8's and not the straight six) are utter crap! In terms of build quality and reliability, they are shocking.

Might be trading up.. 14 years 2 weeks ago #12376

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Panic over, the deal fell through. I'm still one of you. :grouphug:

I'm actually quite glad. I did a little reading the the 1999 XKR's (especially the the V8's and not the straight six) are utter crap! In terms of build quality and reliability, they are shocking.

great news :grouphug:

Might be trading up.. 14 years 1 week ago #12513

Well it's a lovely car but it wont drive like the TF - yes it will be quick but you wont be bale to chuck it round corners and feel like you're on a skateboard with seats!

this made me giggle a little, on the last Teesside run mike exclaimed it was the first time he'd been pressed into the side of his seat :dc:

mind you i was err.... having fun :D
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Might be trading up.. 14 years 1 week ago #12521

I could start smoking a pipe....:dunno:

I used to smoke one when I was younger...... with perhaps the wrong substances within :dunno:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT