Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146489

A mate is going clockwise around Ireland at the moment and asked me whats worth seeing ??

"Thanks for that Dave Generally clockwise mate, but running very short of time! Probably through An Clochan Liath and Dunfanaghy today, aiming for around Londonderry tonight. Then down the east coast (and maybe some inland stuff) and get the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead on 10th. Any recommendations (and don't say bloody Dingle ... Bev just won't let up on that place!)?"

Of course I have no Idea. Anything worth visiting around where he is?? Thanks in advance ??
[IMG]ht[/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146493

If he's traveling through north Donegal today, definitely do Malin Head on the Inishowen peninsula. Most northerly point & a nice wee road. From there I'd head down to Greencastle & get the ferry to Magilligan and head up to the clifftop of Binevenagh that you see as you're crossing. Does mean missing out on Derry if they want to walk the walls though.

For tomorrow, he should really follow signs for Causeway Coastal Route, from Portrush through Bushmills, past Causeway to Ballycastle & on down the coast. Just the most spectacular road.

I'd definitely suggest making time for that then booting down the motorway to Dun Laoghaire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davem

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146495

Just realised he doesn't leave till the 10th. In that case, stop in Belfast for a day. Titanic centre is certainly worth a visit, it's not all about the film, and there is a transport museum just outside the city at Cultra he'd probably enjoy.

If he's into his photography then a stop at Downhill, near Coleraine if coming from Londonderry, is worth a stop too. Some great views at the clifftop temple there.

Last edit: Post by JanCo.

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146496

For tomorrow, he should really follow signs for Causeway Coastal Route, from Portrush through Bushmills, past Causeway to Ballycastle & on down the coast. Just the most spectacular road.

I was just going to suggest this route! Take in the Giant's Causeway; Views of Fair Head; Bushmills distillery; views of Rathlin Island; Carrick-a Rede rope bridge; and the ruined clifftop castle of Dunluce.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146500

I'd need a week just to do Bushmills distillery! :yesnod: :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146502

Yep, it's a good tour. My mates taken so many friends round it the barman knows him & he gets "special consideration" when he arrives :D

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146503

Thanks heaps all :broon: :broon:
I have passed on that info and it will certainly give him something to think about.

[IMG]ht[/img]
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JanCo

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146506

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
if he should make it down to the south the 'ring of kerry' is is a wonderful road:

Cliffs of Moher are nearby:

And there's a picturesque family run motor museum in Kilgarvan:

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146507

Thanks Bertl :broon: but I think he has already been in that area.

I have enjoyed looking at his pics as he often posts on FB. He started in Turkey went up the Rhine on one of those cruisers. Not sure where he is off to next. The pics are good because I feel I have been there and now I won't have to go :lol: :lol:
[IMG]ht[/img]
Attachments:

Re:A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146516

If near laois it is worthwhile taking a run round the historic Gordon Bennett Route first motor raise in the UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146518

Good point about historic race circuits. Traveling from Coleraine on the north coast, he can take in a section of the North West 200 circuit, where riders can achieve over 200mph on superbikes on a good day. On a road which is in daily use for 365 days of the year. Could also take in the Dundrod road circuit which is just north-west of Belfast if he fancied a trip into the countyside, scene of some classic motor racing back in the 50s & still in use as a bike circuit.

For castles, approaching Belfast on the coast road, is Carrickfergus, which has an 800 year old Norman castle, which is now a museum but until 40 or so years ago was still used as a military barracks. Belfast Lough used to be called Carrickfergus Lough, which gives you some idea of the importance this small town used to have.

Further down the country, the Mourne mountains are a nice change of scenery. Silent Valley and Spelga Dam make for a good drive.

Across the border, the Boyne valley has some neolithic tombs that are accessible (I think), never been but they look interesting.

A mate is touring the UK . 9 years 9 months ago #146664

He is going well and appreciated the suggestions. He isn't a whiskey drinker so didn't go in.

He doesn't think much of the National trust :lol: :lol:

"although the bloody National Trust has got heaps out of us already ... £17 for the car park at the Giant's Causeway today ;("
[IMG]ht[/img]
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT