• Page:

Topic

EPAS Light on, it's heavy! 9 years 9 months ago #146248

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
On the way in to work the epas light came on. Quick question is there a fuse for the epas? I had a quick look in the fuse box under the instrument panel but couldn't see one.

Steering heavy but at least you get plenty of feedback through the steering wheel.

:slapme:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

EPS Light on, it's heavy! 9 years 9 months ago #146250

On the F the HUGE orange fuse on the inner passenger side wing (under the bonnet) controls the EPAS. Pull it out and push back in - they get grotty and lose connection....
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

EPS Light on, it's heavy! 9 years 9 months ago #146251

Yes, there is a 40 amp maxi blade type inline fuse under the bonnet.

N.B. the 70 amp max marking on the fuse holder refers to the maximum capacity of the fuse holder NOT the fuse to be used!
This supplies the power to the EPS motor via the EPS ECU. The EPS ECU controls internal relays to distribute power to the EPS motor.

But the power to the EPS ECU via fusable link #6 (60amp) then through fusable link #4 (40amp) located under the bonnet, onward through the ignition switch, then through fuse #1 (10amp) located under dash, onto to the ECU.
Though you would have a lot more problems than just the EPS, if either fusable link #6 and #4 were blown.
And if the under dash Fuse #1 is blown you would find problems with the instruments and indicators too.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Re:EPS Light on, it's heavy! 9 years 9 months ago #146262

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Thanks for the quick response guys. Adam you were spot on!
Just had chance to pop out, pulled the 40 Amp fuse, cleaned the blades, pushed it back in and noticed I could see more of the connector wire sticking out on one side. Pushed that in, switched on the engine..... tense moment .... then out went the epas light, steering back to normal.

Happy days :-)

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

EPS Light on, it's heavy! 9 years 9 months ago #146266

I lost my epas on the way home a couple of moths ago when my speedo cable snapped.

It was like muscling an old truck around the roundabouts :nonod:

Can't imagine what some of the early ones without it are like to drive on a regular basis!!

Also, I read about someone who wired a switch into the epas loom so they could switch it off for "down the lanes" driving but turn it on for town driving.

Makes for better feel on twisty roads. Apparently.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diesel Destroyer

EPS Light on, it's heavy! 9 years 9 months ago #146267

I lost my epas on the way home a couple of moths ago when my speedo cable snapped.

It was like muscling an old truck around the roundabouts :nonod:

Can't imagine what some of the early ones without it are like to drive on a regular basis!!

Also, I read about someone who wired a switch into the epas loom so they could switch it off for "down the lanes" driving but turn it on for town driving.

Makes for better feel on twisty roads. Apparently.

No idea why I 'thank you'd' your post Andy.. ment to quote it lol

Ive done the EPAS mod.. as has Rob Bell.. a very worth while mod.. deffo improves steering communication.. but as you say.. needs being turned on for parking

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/diy/epas/epas_bypass.htm
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy Lawrence

EPAS Light on, it's heavy! 9 years 9 months ago #146276

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
From my experience of the F without EPAS today I would whole heatedly agree with Rob Bell's thoughts on this;

What this doesn't do is transform the steering, but it does allow a useful amount of additional feel to come through the steering to inform you of what the front wheels are doing. This is particularly noticeable on the track; when the wheels loose grip, the steering becomes light. When the tyres are just exceeding their optimal slip angles, you can feel the treads 'crabbing' over the road surface. And you most certainly can feel more of the road's 'texture' coming through the steering.

The EPAS bypass is not really a modification I would do unless I was going to go on track days .. although having said that I did like the additional feedback on motorway bends where you could 'feel' the road surface ... it was somewhat reassuring.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT