Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF Air Conditioning Wiring. 10 years 1 month ago #140090

• Cobber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cobber
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
I've found the schematic wiring diagram in the MGF workshop manual doesn't tell the full story for cars with air conditioning.
I'd say, the schematic wiring diagram in the manual is "as designed" as opposed to the reality of what we have to work with which is "as built".
This situation my not apply to all MGFs with A/C, who knows if or when they may have made any changes during production?

The problem is that the manual shows a brown wire going directly from fuse #6 to the A/C relay pack, what I found was the brown wire from fuse #6 went to a separate relay mounting block (located behind the fuse box and beside the A/C relay pack)) with a jumper fitted in place of the relay, the current runs from the brown wire through the jumper and onto a blue/purple wire, this blue/purple wire runs to the left front of the car where it has and runs through a connector then runs all the way back to the A/C relay pack!
It was at this unnecessary diversion of the blue/purple wire to the front of the car that I had a short circuit where the wiring insulation had worn through. The fact that I had no reason to think that this wire would even be there meant that I had a hard time finding the fault.
This short would intermittently blow fuse #6 and the radiator fan wouldn't run when the engine got hot enough to start the fan, but the condenser fan would run with the A/C on as that has a separate feed from fuse #5 via a brown/grey wire, directly to the A/C relay pack.

My solution was to run with the blue/purple from fuse #6 directly to the A/C relay pack, without the unnecessary detour to the front of the car via the extra relay mounting block and jumper.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: carlvk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

MGF Air Conditioning Wiring. 10 years 1 month ago #140183

Interesting. I just recently finished installing air con in my '95 F with a system from a '98 F. I found the published wiring diagram to be completely accurate in depicting the wiring that came out of the '98 and how to intergrate it into my '95. There were more than a few times that I thought something in the wiring diagrams that didn't make sense when compared to the '98's main wiring harness, but as I looked more closely at what was going on, both the wiring diagram and the harness agreed. Not to say that you have found itsn't true, things to change.
Mark
95 MGF

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT