Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Re:MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201318

It’s rather difficult to work out your direction of travel with this problem as a full grasp of how the alarm interlinks is crucial. If the door lock mechanism is the root of your problem & it could be, you would be better served replacing the whole assembly. I’ve had problems with a door lock & although fortunately it didn’t interact with the alarm, any attempt to rectify the problem was thwarted by the intricacies of mechanical & electrical components. Taking such things to pieces is generally accompanied with a ping noise, the sound of a critical piece flying past your ear on its way to the most difficult & dark place imaginable & you’ve no idea what it was, it’s shape or colour.
A ex member (Minimax) managed to source some switches which were direct replacements & was prepared to undertake a referb job on locks, returning the mechanism to first class condition.
I know that this doesn’t help you now but it proves it can be done & until someone picks up the batten from our friend late of this parish then a good used replacement could be the path to tread.
A lot of luck is required on a job like this & I wish you the finest vintage available.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201351

Hi Len welcome and I hope your alarm issue is resolved soon.

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201368

Hello I notice on the dash,the alarm light is on ,with the ignition off and another warning light along with the horns come on with ign on This second light has a triangle type logo in a circle which I didnt know what it meant . Now I have the drivers door lock mech out ,there is the same logo So cross fingers I may be on to something Len

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201371

Are you looking at the EPAS warning light, this extinguishes when the engine starts. The steering electronics, having run a self test routine monitors the whole steering system & warns of any problems in that area. If it stays illuminated after the engine starts you have another set of problems! I have never come across a failure in this system.

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201372

Thanks I had the engine running a treat but when I tried the central locking key fob,it seemed to upset everything The car wont start now and the alarm and horn are going off.There is a light on the dash comes on when ign on Its the 4th from top and it looks like a triangle in a circle When I removed the driver door lock as it sounds like a machine gun going off and another mentioned,this is a sign its on its way out or its gone kaput ,I noticed exactly the same icon on its case So ive ordered a replacement lock

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201373

When you say forth from the top are you including the main beam warning lamp. If you are, then the fourth down is the EPAS lamp. If I understand you correctly you have found a similar symbol to EPAS symbol on the lock mechanism & that coincidence inspires you to replace the lock. I suspect you are moving in the right direction, but I can’t follow your logic.

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201375

I beg your pardon,the one light is the bottom one,which is marked alarm and this comes on,when the battery is connected.The other one which is 4th FROM BOTTOM comes on ,when the ignition is turned on .Also the icon on this one is exactly the same as is on the door mechanism I have managed to finf a replacement door mechanism but apparently it is quite rare as its an early type

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201376

I meant to add as Ive said before,the engine ran great,once id replaced the ECU and Alarm box When I tried the central locking out using the key fob thats when the alarm problem and non staring began Also,the door mechanism sounded like a machine gun going off when trying central locking ,which is supposed to be a sign,its on its way out Len

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201377

Forth from the top, if you include the main beam or forth from the bottom still brings you to the EPAS lamp & still doesn't add clarity to your previous comments or mine. The "machine gun" sound, a noise that will be familiar to many on here, myself included, indicates a locking mechanism fault & I refer you to comments made in a previous post. Replacing that will clear some air & hopefully get you on the road, however I note with interest your comments relating to your stripping out the lock mech', I do hope this aspect to your problem isn't self inflicted.
As always, best of all things. Mike

MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201378

Ive just reread your post on finding an"early f lock mech'" as far as I was aware the mechanism remained constant throughout the range, this seems to be reenforced by information on the Rimmer Bros website.

Re:MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201379

Just to interject, I concur that as with most of the MGF and continuing to the TF, the majority of components are a continuation from inception. The early would only refer to it being MK1 F, there are no lights associated with the alam other than the round LED the symbol on the lock (without checking) could be the "E" mark which could look similar to the "epas" indication on the cluster, also as far as the "machine gun" sound I also have had this and yes it can be a sign of impending failure of the locking mechanism but also common when the battery voltage is low, I have also heard from others but not experienced the "alarm sounding on ignition switch on" when battery voltage is low maybe something to check and at very least eliminate, should the replacement lock or battery charge fix the issue I'm afraid its pscan/T4 time as a lot of time can be wasted best guessing the fault.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Re:MG F 1 year 2 weeks ago #201380

Iam waiting for a replacement door lock to arrive So I read that to clear the ECU memoy remove both leds from the battery and keeping them cleat of the battery contacts connect together for a while ,this clears the ECU I did this yesterday ,now when I start on the car I connected the battery and everything is dead The large fuse has power going into and out of it Not even the lights work,yet there is a good battery voltage What am I missing Len

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT