Sign In   Register

Topic

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189740

That's good to have someone who knows these cars that you can depend on .

John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189741

Welcome to the fold!
Always good to see new peeps in here. Nice looking TF too, hope you enjoy the car and don't forget - "Summer is coming"!

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cletus

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189817

Seem to be surrounded by people with 160's. Still, I take much comfort in the fact my little 135 has no rust bubbles and it's HG is holding firm (famous last words).
The real reason for this rambling nonsense is that I am seriously considering getting a re-mapped ECU. Opinions please. Are there any downsides? Would really appreciate comments.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I only have a little knowledge!:-?

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189818

Hi Cletus,

Only one downside to a remap - you have to pay for it - everything else is wonderful!

PS I had a TF 135 before my 160, bought it brand new in 2004 and ran it for 12 years. The 135 is nearly as lively as the 160, just that the 160 pushes you to keep going after 4000 revs!
I still wish I had it, but it got battered by other drivers, damaged at work twice and was never the same after a woman took the door off when she pulled in to the next parking bay at Tesco's!

Sundance

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189821

Sundance

I'm pretty convinced about the re-map if it works as well as it's claimed. Kmaps will do it for £240, which bearing in mind the amount of money I've spent on the car already, is nothing. Think I'll get my toolbox out tomorrow and whip out the ECU. Might even do a few other little jobs on it whilst I'm there. Only one last problem - telling the wife!
I think some cars are accident prone. Had a Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X that had done 260,000 when I sold it and was still running, not a single knock in it. My present 'other car' is two and a half years old and has been belted 3 times already, not seriously, but enough to put it in the repair shop for a few days each time.

Cletus

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189822

Yes I believe some cars are doomed...a guy I work with had a clapped out car for years..never a knock on it......after a bit of preasure from me and others he bought a new car....less thirsty..cheaper tax and all that..after 2 years and pleased with the car...he decided to trade it in for a more upper market version....After the first 3 months of ownership he showed me the knocks and scrapes the car was collecting....I keep hitting things with it he said....couldn't understand has it was the same model has the last but just with a few more extras....it's a regular joke has he pulls up at work...me diving for cover has he arrives.and he runs me through the latest damage....he even hit my kia has he turned on the car park....ah well....it's either the car is doomed or that gin club he visits is getting to much for him...I told him he was lucky he never hit the mg.:P :Pdread the day but I know it's going to happen...his days are numbered
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189823

Woe betide anyone who puts so much as a surface scratch on my MG. Its worth a fortune in knuckle skin alone !

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189825

My sister had a Honda Prelude the bloody thing must've been magnetic, every man and his dog had a go at running into it.............damned thing had more hits than Elvis!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189826

Bloody funny Cobber - genuinely made me laugh. At the other end of the scale from magnetic motors are people like my wife, God bless her cotton socks. She is dammed good at most stuff and works miracles in the kitchen, but, she really is an appalling driver (this probably stems from having zero interest in cars). Bought her a nearly new Fiat Panda 4 x 4 about 9 months ago, so far she has hit a raised island in the middle of the road taking out both offside wheels and tyres, hit someone up the bum (not hard fortunately) and had an argument with a barbed wire fence, so now the car looks like its been in a fight with Freddy Kruger. Naturally, she is not allowed to drive the MG. that doesn't bother her, because 'it's just a car' she says!!! Heathen.

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189827

You may be able to get it done cheaper if you are prepared to wait. Kmaps sometimes do events where they charge about £150 to remap the car. When I had mine done at FRL at least 10 other people also had their cars mapped. Its a good saving, the other good thing is that when Mark was mapping mine he was also checking all the live engine data, confirming that the engine was functioning as it should. It was good to know that my engine was ok and that all the data coming from all the sensors was spot on.
Might be worth calling them and seeing if they are off to any events that are worth a visit. Also sometimes a MG club get enough people on board to warrant them coming out to map a batch of cars.
Just thinking that Pride of Longbridge is just around the corner and they may be interested in attending.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cletus

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189860

Hi Cletus, Buzz looks great :-)

Mark at KMAPS did mine about 4 weeks or so ago, it definitely makes a difference, I’m not sure how to describe it....almost like it’s more ‘eager’ I’ve not regretted a thing.

He’s a great guy too.

NEWBIE IN SUFFOLK 5 years 1 month ago #189862

Mark is doing mine as well. Looking forward to it. How does your sound on deceleration/gear changes? I've already got a custom s/steel exhaust which sounds great at 3000+ revs hoping to add some burble and crackle to it. At the moment it just makes a droning noise when you take your foot of the go pedal. I'm an ex Essex boy (they now call it North London) and even at my age the boy racer streak still exists I'm afraid, but in a sensible way if that's possible!

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT