Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178897

Hi I'm Nick and recently purchased an MGF 1.8i in British Racing Green.

The car has been with its current owner for the last 16 years and 1 owner before that from new. Despite it being 20 years old this year (April) it's only covered 80k miles and has all the paperwork; even the original purchase invoice. It's been sat covered on a driveway for the last two years untouched and it shows. One arch is rusted and both front and rear sub frames are in need of some TLC. The bodywork is ok but could do with respraying in areas. The dream is to take the car back to factory standard and take it to shows but it's a long way off yet. I'll get there eventually I'm sure!

I'm a novice mechanic but I did have a stint as a trainee mechanic for Peugeot around 17 years ago. I plan on doing most of the work myself and hopefully keeping the project relatively low cost although I'm not sure that's possible with an MG!

Thanks so far for the help with my clutch issue; still unresolved but I know what I need to do now. I look forward to speaking with you all in the future.

Current issues with the car include:
  • Poorly fitting roof
  • Seized clutch release arm
  • Clutch system needs bleeding
  • Number plate bulb blown
  • Track rod end needs replacing
  • Engine gets pretty hot pretty quick

p.s If there's anyone in Nottingham that fancies helping me out from time to time with resolving issues, I'd really appreciate the assistance.

Cheers for now,

Nick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178903

Hi and welcome to the forum

All of the problems are reasonably simple to sort.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178912

Hi Nick Welcome to the t-bar. As you will find out most of the work you need to do will be found on the How to Guides here at the t-bar. If not then ask away, someone here will be able to help you or point you in the right direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178914

Hi Nick and welcome. I am in Nottingham, and any issues that I need sorting get sent to;
AR Griffiths, who is an MG expert on everything. His workshop is in the Derby area.
Headgasket are his speciality.
Cheers
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178919

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
Hi Nick, welcome aboard!
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/
Attachments:

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178920

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178925

:welcome:

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178940

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Robin ;)

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178968

Attachments:

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178974

Hello and :welcome:

Hello :) 6 years 10 months ago #178995

Hi and welcome

I've found the forum to be a very good source of info, my MgF is of similar vintage to yours, but with a few less miles.

One problem I had but was not aware of until last year was the loss of gas from the hydragas units. Fixed them over this winter to great effect, but had to replace three out of the four units as they had lost too much gas and been damaged, the other unit was refurbed ok. With the benefit of hindsight I wish I had known more about them earlier.

Other than that the car is fine, typical bits and pieces fail, but most I've found to be resolvable.

Have fun

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT