Topic

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159510

• DNL's Avatar Topic Author
  • DNL
  • Novice MGer
  • Novice MGer
Hi all,
New member from Inverness.
Long term MG Rover owner but first time MGF owner. Did a good bit of research and test drove a few (But the choice local to me was few and far between)
Eventually found a lovely Anthracite MGF VVC with 57k miles... Originally was open to buying a project but this little guy seems to be pretty solid...

Hoping that it won't be a dog but open to the fun and games it may bring...

First jobs will be :
Front bumper - looks like someone has tried to mend / blend the drivers side wing edge and bumper using a rattle can. And giving it its first wash and polish - a flake of paint came off the bumper revealing its true colours - bright red! So the car's obviously got a story or two! Plenty of stone chips and laquer peel mean the bumper needs a good freshen up.
Interior - the seats are beautiful cream with black piping and MG logos in the headrests (Is that rare? Haven't seen many with the MG Embroidery) but are really cracked and are looking like they are past the point of saving.

But for the price I paid and the smiles I am getting - I'm willing to overlook and love this wee beast (Fingers crossed for happy times together!)
Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159511

Welcome aboard.

Nice looking car you got there.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we're a friendly bunch on here. :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159512

Speak to Glyptone or Woolies about the cracking int he leather seats and they will steer you right of correction/restoration and any repairs they need.

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159513

Welcome! I'm on the Black Isle with a red MGF (middle of this picture taken at Newtonmore last month with the Highland MGOC).

I know a few other MGFs owners locally and we have a fair amount of experience including who to trust if you need help. I know a great coachwork painter locally too.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
Attachments:

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159515

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159518

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Lovely looking car
Robin ;)

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159521

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159522

:welcome: :P I am a recent new member and owner of an 05 TF and the smiles come aplenty . I even smile just looking at it. :woohoo:

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159528

:welcome: welcome :beer:

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159546

• DNL's Avatar Topic Author
  • DNL
  • Novice MGer
  • Novice MGer
Thanks all - looking forward to getting involved (and no doubt asking a question or two!)
Ordered a book weeks ago (before finding this car) : "The Essential Buyers Guide MGf & TF" - it eventually arrived today... better late than never!
Just flicked through it and it's got me a bit on edge - Seems to be a lot of negatives!

A quick question that doesn't warrant a new thread -
Have read on forums people praising the Hydragas suspension in the F, one guy saying it's a smooth as a saloon - mine isn't! It feels like you'd imagine a 90's convertible to feel, bit shaky and sometimes raucous but not what I'd call 'saloon level'! What's everyone else's views?
Cheers!

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159550

Might need a pump up. Measure the front wheel centre to wheel arch lip. Should be 268 mm +/- 10mm. Could also be spheres a bit lacking in gas. You will get some scuttle shake whatever. If you need a pump upon Bitzs in Nairn can sort it.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: DNL

Last edit: Post by Blow-in.

Newbie from Scotland 8 years 11 months ago #159553

The suspension does look slightly low.
Richard, you're a 100mm low with that setting, should be 368mm

Another reason for rock hard suspension is that the nitrogen has gone from the spheres meaning they are full of liquid. My spheres were like this and the suspension was bone rattling. The only answer to that is to replace them.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DNL

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT