Sign In   Register

Topic

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #135866

Welcome, Not been here long myself. Cracking car, brilliant colour. One to be proud of :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnny the Fox

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #135893

Funny enough I was looking at TR7 convertibles but the Mrs wasn't keen, so I was just flicking through ebay when she saw it and said she liked it. I had never thought about an F . Didn't really know a lot about them, but I attended POL and found out that the Wedgwood SE was a rare beast, apparently only @ 300 made.

No plans to modify, just to keep on the road and in tip top condition, I am a bit of an originality freak :) TBH I haven't had to do much really, new discs all round, a suspension pump up(that's a story in itself) new exhaust and cat and lambda sensor( another story)

:)

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #135916

• Visitor
  • Visitor
:welcome: Lovely car and makes mine look even worse than it already is! :oops: Seems like a lovely, helpful place, don't think there are many questions that are unable to be answered here! ;)

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #135925

Funny enough I was looking at TR7 convertibles but the Mrs wasn't keen, so I was just flicking through ebay when she saw it and said she liked it. I had never thought about an F . Didn't really know a lot about them, but I attended POL and found out that the Wedgwood SE was a rare beast, apparently only @ 300 made.

No plans to modify, just to keep on the road and in tip top condition, I am a bit of an originality freak :) TBH I haven't had to do much really, new discs all round, a suspension pump up(that's a story in itself) new exhaust and cat and lambda sensor( another story)

We likes stories. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #135935

Welcome, Not been here long myself. Cracking car, brilliant colour. One to be proud of :yesnod:

It looks good but when you get up close, there is some slight colour mismatch between panels and some stone chipping on the bonnet, but no rust :)

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #135952

Funny enough I was looking at TR7 convertibles

Mmmm TR7/s proper engines... still miss mine :)

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #135976

Still got mine!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryD

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #136012

Still got mine!

NIce, but the Mrs still doesn't like em :(

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #136014

Welcome from north wales!! :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)
Attachments:

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #136016

We likes stories. :yesnod:

With regards to the suspension pump up, the story behind it was that over a period o time i hadn't noticed that the ride height had got low as the F was only used on occasional weekend jaunts, but around Jan last year my 75 started playing up so i had to use the F constantly. This meant that during the week of constant use i hadn't noticed that due to the extreme camber introduced on the rear suspension it had worn the rear tyres dangerously thin.

This caused the tyre to 'blow out' at 50 mph causing a (temporary)loss of control and a scary bum time moment. Luckily it was very early in the morning empty road and i never hit any thing. Thing was the other tyre was as nearly as bad so i limped to the the nearest tyre emporium in Maidstone and had to shell out over £250 odd for two new tyres and then drive slowly to Chatham to a garage who could pump up the suspension (another £80) so quite an expensive day.

Well then the F was due the dreaded MOT so i took it to my local MOT garage where it promptly failed (apparently) on emissions.
I was told that it would need a new catalytic converter and lambda sensor and was quoted @£300 all in. I normally do all my own work, but feeling particularly lazy that day accepted the quote and let them carry out the work and retest.
What a fool i was. Later that day i receive a call saying that i would need a new exhaust manifold @ £200 as the lambda sensor tapping had damaged threads. Also listening to the mechanic talk about its a difficult car to work on, with restricted access from below to remove the manifold and that he had to cut the old lambda sensor in half to get it out sent alarm bells ringing.
So i walk down to the garage to see what is going on for myself. F is up on four post lift with the young lad trying to undo the manifold to engine studs from below. When i ask him why is he doing this he says that you can't get to it from above. So when i mention that if you release the rear of the roof, remove the insulation pad and the 10 10mm bolts that hold the engine cover it reveals the engine in all its glory, he looks at me as if i am lying, so i get him to lower the lift and do just what i told him.
He then utters the heart sinking words that "i have never worked on an MGF before and don't know a lot about them" :omg:
I then help him remove the manifold and when i look he has damaged the manifold to cat flange by the careless use of an angle grinder to release the nuts :oops:

I then use their oxy -acetylene to heat up the remainder of the lambda sensor and remove it to reveal undamaged threads, so i tell him that i want the flange damage repaired and i am not paying for a new manifold. I wasn't a happy bunny at this point, so when the garage foreman comes over and starts slating Rover cars and tells me that i should take the roof down on the F and fill it with rubbish as it is a skip and that MG Rovers all suffer from HGF and that the ubiquitous Rover V8 engine was crap and that it was a Japanese engine anyway plus Rover never made anything that was good, made my blood boil and a few expletives were exchanged.
I got the F back paid the bill and vowed that i would NEVER let any garage repair my cars ever again. What astounded me was the ignorance from the "mechanics" with regards to the F and MG and Rover in general. :bang:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Tourbillon, Leigh Ping, bensewell

Last edit: Post by Johnny the Fox. Reason: mis spelling

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #136020

Unbelievable! :o

I'd have gone home, got my camera and filmed the balls up of a job prior to not paying them a cent. :dry:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Hello 10 years 5 months ago #136036

Unfortunately, this level of ignorance is not as unusual as you would think. :nonod:
I've heard of people replacing the head gasket by dropping the rear subframe.
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT