Sign In   Register

Topic

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131156

My TF is a 2009 LE500...13k miles ..see no reason why anyone would change it..and the condition of it is consistent with it being the original fitting.

More likely I feel that it was redesigned as part of the takeover by SAIC...or NAC.

Any chance you could measure the ID of the TF bracket you have?...mine is definitely 57mm plus even with a thick layer of paint!
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131169

Mine looks like it has a thin metal sleeve pressed in., yours doesn't..

Will try n get a pic
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131170

I followed this How-to and removed it...well actually I got a local garage to remove the original bush....and the sleeve appeared to be part of it...but maybe not I guess..however Clive removed the sleeve before fitting the poly bush...
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131172

Look at Clive's pics at the start of the thread.. You can see what looks like a metal sleeve pushed inside the mount.. Yours does not have this..

That's why your bush is slack..

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131173

I didn't remove my sleeve.. Just burn the bush out and cleaned it all up..

Had to press the Polybush in with a vice

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131178

Aha...That could be it then...

Clive removed the sleeve and the Powerflex blue bush fitted fine...you used the new yellow bush with the sleeve in place and that fitted OK..

Hopefully the new Powerflex bush from Motobuild will fit without the sleeve..

I'll let you know..
- Frank Zappa

Last edit: Post by Fatbaldingoldgit.

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131196

I have the blue bush on my car. Great mod! :broon:
The only thing I would add to Clive's how-to is to use a hole saw to drill out the old bush. The steel inner bushing makes a good guide for the pilot.
Use a hole saw slightly smaller than the metal sleeve to clear out as much rubber as possible, then there is plenty of room to get in there with the hacksaw (If you want to remove the metal sleeve).

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131212

Do you think there was a spec change ? as I have measured the bush and its 56mm same as Allan's, I also measured the shackle and it has an aperture of 56mm if you leave in the metal sleeve for the bush. It looks like there is no need to remove the sleeve to fit the new bush...

Good news is that I have 2 shackles both with sleeve in place so can send you one FBOG once I have got the new one in place. (I am refurbing a spare I got to avoid taking the F off the road).

Edit: Burning out the bush is strangely satisfying but not sure the neighbours are happy following 30 mins of blowtorch mayhem :-)

TB

Last edit: Post by Tourbillon.

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131222

There's something almost biblical about a burning bush :coat:

Reminds me of a bad joke..

Who was the first drug dealer in the bible?

Moses..

He came down from the mountain with 2 tablets and made a profit (prophet)

:coat:

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131225

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131226

Hi TB..very kind of you to offer a spare shackle..I may well take you up on that if the replacement Superflex bush that Motobuild are sending doesn't work out..

I'm curious about the change in bush spec that Motobuild are selling...was blue Powerflex...now yellow generic?..(posted in a plain envelope/jiffy bag)..

WABOL I'll be able to speculate more informedly tomorrow when the posty arrives..
- Frank Zappa

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131388

It fits! :beer:
The blue Powerflex bush is a nice hand tight fit into the torque tamer shackle. It doesn't fall out like the yellow bush does.

The Blue Powerflex bush is 57mm OD
The Yellow generic bush is 56mm OD
The shackle without the metal sleeve is 57mm ID
I assume from others posts the shackle with the metal sleeve is 56mm ID

Therefore, if you have removed the thin sleeve from the shackle order the larger blue Powerflex bush #2607K
If you have not/are not going to remove the sleeve then order the smaller yellow bush

Both sets can be ordered from Motobuild. The blue Powerflex one is more expensive so if you have a choice don't remove the thin sleeve.. Unfortunately, the Motobuild Torque Tamer picture shows the bushes in blue so probably best to contact them once you have decided which route to take..

- Frank Zappa
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diesel Destroyer

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT