Sign In   Register

Topic

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131392

Ah. So it depends on whether the original bush outer has been removed or not. :yesnod:

David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 6 months ago #131496

Good news from www.moto-build.com

".......we are making our own bushes the same size as the Superflex one, they will be in stock by Christmas then this problem will never arise again and we can get the prices down."
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tourbillon

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 10 years 5 months ago #131714

Ok Guys, Torque tamer from Moto-build fitted.

Great bit of kit and reasonably easy to fit. The car drives silky smooth and pulls away with no judder/shake as the drive train loads up, best of all on the over-run there is no snatch so when you come on the gas again its smooth. One of the best upgrades to fit! However, the reason is simple when I look at what came off, a 99' mk1 with 70 k on the clock and the bushes were absolutely shot, disintegrated, the metal inserts fell out on unbolting! fitting what CJJ took off his car would have been an upgrade and the spare hanger I got was in better nick and I burned the bushes out of that to rebuild!

On fitting a word of caution, the grease that came with the kit is really good, so good that after pushing in the large bushes into a newly hammerited hanger,they fired straight out!seriously slippy stuff. So to combat this I held them in with a large G clamp, this was a good idea as when you fit to the chassis member its a tight fit (apply that grease again) and the clamp can be used to compress the bush to ease its way in.

The re-fit order I did was 1)separate hanger from sump mount, 2)loose fit sump mount upper bolts on side of sump, 3)fit hanger with big bush to subframe,4) bolt hanger to sump mount, 5) tight bolts on sump mount and draw the assemply tight up against sump, 6)insert final 2 sump mount bolts on underside of sump,7) tighten the whole lot up.

The reason I did it in this order as the gap is too large to bridge with the fully assembled unit, I guess is probably a sign my other mounts are not in great shape :-(

Only downside is that I can now hear a put-putting sound at idle, which could be unrelated or I suspect is a manifold leak deteriorating because the engine is now tightly constrained and allowing minimal flex.

No pictures included as CJJ's excellent guide is enough to cover the views.

TB
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Diesel Destroyer

Torque Tamer bushes. - How to Fit. 7 years 8 months ago #170312

Hi CJJ,

Perfect how to guide as always.

Fitting the same poly bushes last weekend, followed your guide exactly, apart from the burning rubber removal Techinque, I bolted the bracket to the sump and large bush to the subframe but when I swung the arm up the hole for the small bush would not line up. After trying to jack the engine up gently to see if this would help, to no avail, I ended up loosening the bolts holding the bracket to the sump enough to allow the centre bush bolt to slide in, then tightened the sump bracket bolts to draw everything together.
Starting the car I noticed there is a vibration felt through the cabin at certain revs and also as I pull away. I know the poly bush will transmit these vibrations more than the soggy rubber standard bushes, but as I had hassle aligning the bush bolts, is it likely this vibration is due a mistake on my part reassembling? I can't see any obvious causes, would you have any checks you could suggest?

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT