Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #167759

• Hammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hammy
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
I've been wanting to fit an electric boot release for ages. I've seen the ones on ebay, but they are rather bulky, so, me being a simple guy, of simple means wanted a simple solution.

I like coming up with my own solutions. :)

First off, I wanted to use whatever is there...so I am using the heated rear window switch - that has the relay already and I kept the 25amp fuse in place. I decided also to utilise the HRW plug in the parcel shelf and took an earth from the handbrake switch.

Fed this up and around and through the boot direct to the lock.

Now for something different. I used my own solenoid - it's a push solenoid, is tiny and has 2.5n of push force when energised with 10mm of travel. There is enough spring force in the latch to push it back when non-energised. I fitted an in-line mini blade fuse on the positive side with a 3amp fuse.

This is hard to photograph... I didn't take any whilst doing it as my back is breaking - it's a flaming awkward place to work on that boot lock - I did climb into the boot once or twice, but this really made matters worse, not being as flexible as I used to be an all :)

The only thing I have left to do at some point is to modify the heated rear window switch to make it momentary...oh and cable tie a couple of cables... have left them loose so you can see them.

From the outside, apart from those to black and red wires, it looks bog standard

A bit closer...and still bog standard looking..

...a look at the lock and it still looks bog standard, but you can just see in on the righ, in the openingt a little device...

...and this is the best picture I can get.... you can see the solenoid, it fits in the space perfectly. It's bonded in. The plunger I changed for a one with a fole in the end - through this I put a bolt and that bolt sits up against the locking mechanism ready to push it. There are two strips of plastic on the inside of the frame to prevent the bolt twisting left or right. Simple job and only cost me £9 :)

The key still operates as usual as the solenoid is not energised.

Well, that's my solution...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #167760

An excellent job. Well done! :broon: :broon: :broon: :broon: :broon:
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #167761

Nice one, got a link to the solenoid?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #167762

Attachments:

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #167775

A great job, neat and inexpensive. :broon:

Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tony.

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #167778

Well worth a click on the thankyou button. Great post! Cheers. :broon:

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #167780

• Hammy
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thankyou everyone :)

I bought a load of solenoids last year for a totally unrelated job and had plenty spare... verious ones, push, pull, push/pull. I'll find the receipt and get the exact part number for the one I used and post up :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Leigh Ping, cairnsys, sworkscooper

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #168097

Today I fitted a remote boot release using a boot solenoid and boot lock cable from a ZR, switch from a saab cab, so old cable and a brand new inline fuse holder from Halfords, total cost £3.00 for the inline fuse holder (and the hidden external remote switch when I buy it).

Not as need as above but it will be getting a cover.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #168106

Looks good , well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #168126

• Hammy
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer

Today I fitted a remote boot release using a boot solenoid and boot lock cable from a ZR, switch from a saab cab, so old cable and a brand new inline fuse holder from Halfords, total cost £3.00 for the inline fuse holder (and the hidden external remote switch when I buy it).

Not as need as above but it will be getting a cover.

Excellent, good work SIr...nice to see someone re-using parts and it does it's job. Hidden external button/switch... hmm, now interested in this....will it work without ignition on?

My boot popper solution 7 years 11 months ago #168164

Excellent, good work SIr...nice to see someone re-using parts and it does it's job. Hidden external button/switch... hmm, now interested in this....will it work without ignition on?

Cheers, yes it works without the ignition being on.

My boot popper solution 7 years 10 months ago #168536

Awesome solutions for this gents, most inspiring....I have a selection of heavy duty solenoid coils and plungers taken from old locking safety switches that we use on machine tools at work. When we replace one, I gets the solenoid. They are all 24v though, but should pull in with 12v too. So may look at fitting one and see if it works
I did buy the e-bay kit, but it does look a bit bulky and sticky outey!
Hammy, loving your idea mate, so may try something along the same lines.

Sundance

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT