Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168865

Well I know you're not supposed to undo and redo locking wheel nuts with an impact wrench, but I did several times and it's always been fine. However, this weekend I went to play with the rear brakes again (I have a sticking brake) and proceeded to remove the wheel nuts with my impact wrench. On one wheel, the nut was looking a bit worse for wear but I tried anyway and the nut just rounded off. On the other wheel, I tried with a torque wrench instead and the lugs in the key snapped off.

So I purchased some Irwin Bolt removers on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-Expansion/dp/B000QW6K8I/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1465289282&sr=1-1&keywords=irwin+bolt+grip+nut+remover but they were rubbish. The metal of the nuts is far too soft and they just get chewed up. So now I was left with 2 nuts in a poor state instead of just one. No point buying a replacement key now.

So I took a 19mm hardened steel impact socket and held it in some grips and heated it up until it was very hot. I then placed it over the nut with some pliers and then hit it on with a mallet. I then poured water on it to cool it down and grip the nut as it shrank. I was then able to use the torque wrench and undo the nut easily.

After hammering out the old nut, you can repeat for any other dodgy nuts. It was actually surprisingly easy and as you can see from the picture the metal of the nut is soft enough to allow a heated socket to be hit over it.

The hardest part was hammering out the nut to repeat the procedure on the other wheel! :)

Anyway, it was always on my "to do" list to remove the locking wheel nuts and replace with standard ones as I've never trusted them and figured one would fail. I just didn't expect to break 2 nuts AND the key in one weekend! I now have 4 standard nuts in their place and will never have issues again :)

Nick
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys, Hammy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by NikTheGeek.

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168867

There's always room for new blood. Well done, you've made it into the how to section. :)

WHEELS AND HUBS
Locking Wheel nuts - Removal - Replacement guide.
Remove locking wheel nuts without key - Removal - Replacement guide.
Plasti-Dip Wheel Refurb. - Refurbish your wheels at home with Plasti-Dip.
Rear Hubs - Replacement guide.
Wandering - Steering checks.
Stuck wheel and wheel nut solutions - Removal tips and ideas.

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168868

So now I was left with 2 nuts in a poor state
Nick

Ouch.....sounds nasty! :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168869

There's always room for new blood. Well done, you've made it into the how to section. :)

WHEELS AND HUBS
Locking Wheel nuts - Removal - Replacement guide.
Remove locking wheel nuts without key - Removal - Replacement guide.
Plasti-Dip Wheel Refurb. - Refurbish your wheels at home with Plasti-Dip.
Rear Hubs - Replacement guide.
Wandering - Steering checks.
Stuck wheel and wheel nut solutions - Removal tips and ideas.

Ooops, I should have checked first, sorry :)

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168873

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Leigh meant your how to has made in to the how to section :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168878

Leigh meant your how to has made in to the how to section :broon:

I know :) but if I'd checked, I'd have found them already and not posted. But thanks for including it anyway Leigh! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168888

Personally I've used a 18mm hex impact socket and a 8lb club hammer.

Tap the socket on to the nut,
loosen the nut until it can be undone by hand,
tap the socket sideways until it comes off the nut,
remove the lockers and bin them.

I then fit McGard as they are O/E spec on later cars and as locking nuts are part of the security package of the car, your insurance is void with any part of the security system is disabled or removed.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168897

I then fit McGard as they are O/E spec on later cars and as locking nuts are part of the security package of the car, your insurance is void with any part of the security system is disabled or removed.

That's an interesting point, but my understanding is that the insurance for the car wouldn't be void, so if the car was nicked, broken in to or written off, insurance wouldn't be voided. But if the alloys were nicked then you'd have to whistle.... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Mini How To: Remove locking wheel nuts without key 7 years 10 months ago #168925

And MG alloys are popular now that MGZ and Rover 200/400/25/45 are cheap with owners who think the F wheels will fit, especially with decent tyres, never mind they don't fit, the new "owners" wont return them!

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT