Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 9 months ago #161608

Dropped subframe and removed to garage! Didn't notice before but drive is on a slight slope. Had a bit of a problem with the body 'slewing' as I jacked up high enough to drag engine out. Dropped subframe onto legs of my engine hoist after removing the wheels. Need to replace the brake pipes, brake cables, gear cables and touch up the body in the engine bay as well as drilling out the 3 subframe bolts that sheared as I tried to undo them

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: clicked insert

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 9 months ago #161682

Was in the middle of getting rid of the the odd flaky patches of rust...... Until it rained and all my newspaper masking got wet went soggy and fell off.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161763

One side done, the other side needs stripping back again as the laquer is like cheese and has peeled when being T cut. So not a happy bunny.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: clicked insert

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161768

One side done, the other side needs stripping back again as the laquer is like cheese and has peeled when being T cut. So not a happy bunny.

I would hazard a guess that you have soem contamination on the area your trying to paint. happened to me and in my case it was a piece of contaminated wet and dry paper.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161769

Well Sunday afternoon about three decide to get on with the cam swap and repalce the lazy/weak tappet. Turns out both inlet tappets on #3 were weak so have replaced them from my spares cache. However due to interuptions although have the came ladder back on with cams in situ and came wheel back on that's as far as I got so will have to finish it off Monday time and weather permitting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161774

drove the longest trip ever in my trophy Bournemouth to Newark and back (400 miles) in 1 day 4 1/2 hours each way, with a cricket match in between, car never missed a beat. :woohoo:
Regards

Chris
If your going to have one, Have a big one!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161777

Just a wash and polish and a driveout to ashbourne,derbyshire.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161819

Due to a very helpful Simon at Banhams of Spilsby I was able to change the rusted gearbox support arm for a good replacement this afternoon:-

This would have been a MOT failure and hers is due next month. I managed to undo all but the lower inner bolt the other week but could not get onto that one properly so rather hat chew the bolt head up asked Simon to have a look at it. Up on a ramp it was a much simpler job to get onto it.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161820

Once home the job was then simple:-

Clean up the rust with a wire brush then paint with rust treat/primer.

Having to split the post/reply due to the daft updates that won't allow more the 2 photos.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161821

Continued:-

Fit the painted replacement then spray the exposed bolts with underseal for protection for the future.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161842

Due to a brain fart incident "Elsie" now needs a repalcement rear bumper so the old split on had to come off..................................................... and we ALL know about those two 17mm headed bumper bolts ....................................... don't we :bang: As pr normal they have rusted soidily in place so I removed the bumper complete with crash cans:-

What the f*** is wrong with this forum now???? cannot post more than a couple of photos!!!

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: sp

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161843

This is gettign very tedious having to break down every post into several just to post the bloody photos:-

So there is some cleaning, rust removal/treatment, then painting to do under there! Am also going to attack the rust on the wheel arches with a flap wheel and see just how bad they are.

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT