Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 9 months ago #160762

I just bought one - perfect for my new G4!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 9 months ago #160764

Today I put £10 of fuel in Meg and started her for the first time in a few weeks. First turn of the key! Woohoo. Washed her and checked her over.. I can see a few flakes on the brake pipes in the engine bay area, so I'll clean that off... then hopefully MOT... then I'll sell the old girl....

On the Range Rover I replaced the drivers side headlight wiper motor... finally after 4 years I have working headlight washers! All it cost? £12

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161453

nothing to do on the tf today so about 3.00pm went for a spin in the country.......did 60 mile round trip.............stopped off to take a few pictures near mow cop..............overlooking the cheshire plains....

:drive:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161454

Working on my new project. Managed a couple of hours before it rained.

Removed back box and cat, broke bolts on anti roll bar mount on rear. Loosened 6 bolts on rear most sub frame mounts, removed right hand exhaust mount after setting fire to it! Spent half an hour heating up a couple if bolts on the front sub frame mounts but they didn't budge. (I just know they are going to break but I'm savouring that pleasure and will enjoy that particular tribulation on Monday or Tuesday. Have prepared the crude carpenter version of CJJ's neat joinery and begun by jacking the car on to axle stands to deal with underside.

Still need to disconnect the quick release pipes into the engine bay and somehow remove the 4 bolts at the front of the rear sub frame. The rear bumper now has 1 broken bolt in the boot and the torx bolts holding the bumper on are proving really stubborn.
I

have a new subframe ready to fit along with other bits and pieces
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161504

With the way driver quality is getting where I live I decided it was time to get a little additional "insurance" for my VVC.
It is a dash cam made by Pittasoft in Korea. It's quite inconspicuous and mounts out of the drivers line of sight behind
the rear view mirror. It switches on and off with the ignition and the picture quality is very good. There is no in-car monitor
but the memory card comes out easily to view the footage on the computer. It has a timer unit for use when parked which
I installed in the fuse box.
They do have a bluetooth version as well so that you can view the footage on a smart phone.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, cairnsys, Fatbaldingoldgit, mgtfbluestreak

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161562

Brake discs and pads on all corners... not easy with them rusted on tight but fun. Plus flush, bleed and replace the coolant. Still got to fault find and discover where the previous pirate put the kseal in to cover a leak. ....grrr

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161563

Aparently crushing up a dishwasher tablet or two into the expansion tank and running the car cleans out most types of crap from the cooling system.. then flush with clean water, and then fill with proper coolant.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161592

Just got in after cleaning the 2 rust spots on my TF one each side of the car just In front of the doors..Used 60 grade paper to clean the paint off then used dox gel by bilt hamber to kill the rust than sprayed it with zinc primer ready for some paint
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161593

Today i decided to fit some new front discs and pads so here they are standard vented 240mm discs.... :hgf:

out came the brake cleaner to wipe the protective coating from the discs....below comparing the old with the new.

It isnt all plain sailing when fitting your discs...more often than not there rusted on solid....ive seen the posts for removing solid discs.But by luck i had a tool that could remove solid discs in seconds......it was a puller i made for removing gears from diesel engine fuel pumps.....below is the tool.

it is basically a strip of metal with a hole drilled and tapped in the middle to accept a bolt.the metal strip fits snugly between the disc and the metal area drilled to accept the caliper bolts.

The tool spreads the load and makes it a doddle to remove discs.......the bolt easily pushes the disc away and does not push on the braking face.....the bolt pushes inside the disc.....which means no damage to the face of the disc if you wish to use them again..Awire wheel on a drill was used to clean the hub after removal......retaining screws to be drilled out of the hub at a later date has id promised to take her in doors out for a topless cruise around derbyshire.......although the retaining screws were broken off in the hub by owner unknown....i made sure to place the disc on with the holes in line because a tiny raised area of a broken screw would of offset the disc if id fitted it any how.....on..with the wheels........test drive ok ....cruise here i come....

so off to uttoxeter in staffordshire for dinner and then in the direction of ashbourne derbyshire...........stopped off at darley moor raceways...............there was a airstrip there with alot going on........microlights were coming in to land above our heads world war bi plane which was in raf colours.

The bi plane flew over the car has it came in to land......it was like a war film has a plane comes to attack.......and you couldnt hear it come untill it was close to you.

hello shouted the pilots of the paragliders as they gracefully flew above us.....
well i bet yer wondering about the cost of the discs and pads?

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161595

Apart from enjoying it, realised the front n/s bearing was telling me it was knackered.

So started taking the hub apart to replace bearing. Got me a Clarke impact gun - what a fantastic tool... made light work of siezed bolts - best tool I ever bought.
[img]http://i1028.photobig bucket.com/albums/y342/iancowan1/Mobile%20Uploads/MG/IMAG1698_zpssfpxltax.jpg[/img]

All good... but defeated by a flaming 8mm bolt holding the abs sensor on. Completely rounded off...so cut the top off with dremel, only to realise it has a captive washer on the bolt, so out with big grinder tomorrow. Anyone know where I can get just the bolt from?

Last edit: Post by Hammy.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161598

Cleaned and reproofed the soft top ready for the winter,. Oh, wait a minute, the winter appears to have already arrived here on the West coast of Scotland. The rain is now beading very well on the roof :-)

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 8 months ago #161599

Hammy I get the impression under my f that the rust is the only thing holding it together.:-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT