Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rivetting 3 months 2 weeks ago #205399

Are there any good rivet guns that will handle normal rivets as well as rivnuts ?

I could do with replacing my very basic rivet gun with something a bit more mighty but I also have an eye on being able to fit rivnuts. Do any tools do both ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rivetting 3 months 2 weeks ago #205401

There are but not ones that do a good job, even dedicated ones won’t work very well on larger sized rivets let alone rivinuts
In fact when it comes to larger sized stainless rivinuts only the pneumatic or powered models are much good.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Rivetting 3 months 2 weeks ago #205402

No! I would recommend you assess which is your priority & invest in that. You can make a rivnut tool relatively easy & although I have a rivnut tool, I wouldn’t contemplate using the dedicated tool on a larger nut. Once you have enough leverage on a rivnut tool to collapse the thread tube, you wouldn’t have the finesse required to feel a pop rivet tighten & the mandrel snap.
I don’t need to tell you that rivnuts are available in aluminium, mild & stainless steel, collapsing an aluminium rivnut is relatively straightforward, try using a “standard” tool on a stainless nut is an order of magnitude greater.
I hope that makes sense to you & whoever else who might be considered such a purchase. I can’t pass over heavier duty rivnut tool without considering replacing my original but still can’t justify it.
As far as standard riveting tools are concerned I use a Masterfix (MFX150?) & an early King Klik; for fatties I use an Eclipse lazy tong unit, I have a second but I can’t recall it’s make, the eclipse is my go to.
M

Rivetting 3 months 2 weeks ago #205411

I will need to fix some m8 and m10 steel rivnuts, is the long handle nursery tool with about 18 inch long arms the standard one? Or if your inserting a couple of dozen do you buy one for these;
M10 - Engineer Heavy Duty High Tensile (8.8) Rivnut Rivet Nut Nutsert Tool
Buy It Now

Rivetting 3 months 2 weeks ago #205414

Having commented earlier on this subject, I had cause to fit M4 & M3 inserts into a special clamping fixture. The M4 was not a problem as I had the 4mm adapter, the 3mm I had to make & in effect it was a miniature version of the one you have illuminated. Whilst in that department I had to shuffle through the various tools I have made & used over several years, to pull in M8 &10 I would be using the type in your picture.
If you want me to photograph my fatty & post it I’ll pull one out tomorrow when I’m in the workshop.
My wife takes preference tomorrow, as she no longer drives I’m her chauffeur.
One point I’ll make & it cropped up again earlier is the inability to modulate the smaller inserts on less expensive tools, the net result is you can clinch the insert perfectly but rip the thread form out of it, rendering it of no value.
M

Rivetting 3 months 2 weeks ago #205417

Having thought about it overnight I realise that it will be far easier to use something like the eBay tool than manipulate a long handled tool underneath a MGB dashboard.

Rivetting 3 months 2 weeks ago #205418

There are a number of instances where a proprietary tool may not be applicable, take for instance the threaded inserts on the inspection hatch / engine cover. Several of mine have stripped & need repairs, the head on my gun is too large to get in & to pull the rivnut in. The cover has to come off shortly for me to rummage around in its gizzards & I’ll make a tool for that specific application & do them when it all goes back together.
I’ve mentioned on a number of occasions that I am fortunate to have the equipment to rattle off stuff like this, but those less well equipped would be able to make a tool. YouTube will have a video outlining how to make one.
M

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.919 seconds