Sign In   Register

Topic

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #183448

Personally I think that its the case that most DIY mechanics, probably like most of us , don't have the muscles of full time spanner jocks which have been refined over time.
Also sometimes we are just not sure of how much wellie to apply to that spanner or rusty part -also unless you are confident with a gas torch its probably not wise to mess about with one
My personal view therefore is that a decent lightweight 300Nm rattle gun is better to use on those rusty components -after all its what you're local garage would do but using his expensive SNAP ON air gun .

regards

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #183450

It's a big investment for how often you might use one, unless it works for a living, as is the case with my lad, so I'm sort of with J&S here. A good set of spanners, hex sockets sets & a nice breaker bar, supplemented with a good battery driver, in my case a Dewalt sees me through; that does the Landys too. It's remarkable how much work can be done with an 8,10,13,17 19mm combination spanners, a pozi, a flat bladed screwdriver, in good condition & the ubiquitous hammer.
On the few times I needed an extra bit of yagadagadaga I burrow my sons large Snap-on, (no smutty sniggering please).
And which 1950s Scammel had you in mind John?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzzy-Beans

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #183451

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.

It's a big investment for how often you might use one, unless it works for a living, as is the case with my lad, so I'm sort of with J&S here. A good set of spanners, hex sockets sets & a nice breaker bar, supplemented with a good battery driver, in my case a Dewalt sees me through; that does the Landys too. It's remarkable how much work can be done with an 8,10,13,17 19mm combination spanners, a pozi, a flat bladed screwdriver, in good condition & the ubiquitous hammer.
On the few times I needed an extra bit of yagadagadaga I burrow my sons large Snap-on, (no smutty sniggering please).
And which 1950s Scammel had you in mind John?

This sort......
Many still in service hauling heavy into and out of power station when I was an apprentice in the early seventies.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
Attachments:

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #183453

Thanks for all the advice. I've gone with something completely different, following various suggestions. Since I already have a powerful impact wrench for those really stubborn bolts and since I really wanted something for other nuts and bots and general use, I've gone with a lithium ratchet instead. Crack the nut or bolt open and then press power to undo it fully. When tightening, use the powered ratchet then finish off with a torque wrench to the correct settings - no risk of damage like I'd get from an impact tool. That will do me. The impact wrench can come out for those really tough ones that won't undo - and it saves me buying a set of 3/8 impact sockets (I already have 1/2) as a powered ratchet isn't an impact driver.

I'll let you know if it works out....

Nick

Last edit: Post by NikTheGeek.

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #183454

Ah that Scammel, yes you might want to reconsider your tool kit if that was your classic drive & I guess that your tools would have names on them like Britool or King Dick. When my wife's helping as the extra pair of willing hands on the Landy & I need a particular & venerated set of spanners, I will ask for the Kings Dick; always gets a giggle.

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #183455

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
King Dick was the national tool choice for the generating board for many years. All spanners great and small.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #183456

My smallest open ended spanner is a 12BA/10BA by Gordon & in ring 10/8 by Bedford, they don't see the light of day very often. Do you thing we've gone a little off message?

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #183480

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Off message is what we're all about. At least in Johnny World.... Others may disagree.

I have a world of tools: neighbours on the borrow for odd jobs and knowledge are continuously amazed at what exists in me garage big-ass toolbox. From tiny tiny screwdrivers to big big sockets. As an Engineer, a real one I might add, with practical and educational salutations, I've never been beaten by anything on a car armed with nothing other than a Snap-On 3 ft breaker bar. Sometimes with a cheater bar over the end of it. Jaguar rear radius arms spring to mind.

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #184050

In your case the makita is the way to go, in my opinion. As you already have the battery and charger.

If you were coming at this with no battery, then the Clarke would be the obvious choice, again imho.

As to whether it s a justifiable outlay or not is your choice.

Although you have got me looking at compatible impact drivers for my Dewalt battery drill, damn you!:P

Damn, couldn't resist, could I?:oops:
David
:shrug:

Impact wrench advice 6 years 2 months ago #184059

Good choice David, that little DeWalt has more yagadagadaga than its size would imply; I wouldn't be without mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Impact wrench advice 6 years 1 month ago #184184

Screw fix do one at a reasonable price I plan to buy it. its a similar spec to the Makita but much cheaper.

I have a good old pneumatic impact driver and I have only ever used it for undoing wheel nuts and the good old top ball joints. I tend to use a breaker bar for other stuff.

Last edit: Post by James. Reason: didn't realise how long the thread was.

Impact wrench advice 6 years 1 month ago #184195

Moving on - any recommendations for a 240v impact wrench, I do most of my spannering within 10 feet of a wall socket and a mains one will have more ooph than my battery version.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT