Sign In   Register

Topic

overheating TF 7 years 6 months ago #172148

and a image of a prt
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

overheating TF 7 years 6 months ago #172150

I'm afraid I cannot help, but just as a matter of interest so as not to confuse others, or is it me who is confused, the cooling circuit diagram posted by mgbluestreak on page two shows the hot water entering the rad via the bottom hose and the cooled water leaving at the top. This I am sure is contrary to what I have believed for years (55 ish). Am I really going senile or am I missing something ???

Fitting the PRT system effectively reversed the flow through the radiator. Something I noticed when I did the retrofit of the PRT. It also reverses the flow through the engine too. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak, COMMANDER

overheating TF 7 years 6 months ago #172162

• Daz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Daz
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer

That's the way they are on the early cars for some reason.

I managed to get home for a couple of hours today, so had another play. flushed all the pipes & everything seems to flow properly.

Strangely though I noticed that when the heater is set to cold & the rad fan comes the return pipe from the rad cools down quite quickly, but when the heater is on hot it warms up as you'd expect. So it looks as if the rad fan is Cooling as it should but the water isn't flowing through the system.

Really confused now :bang:

looking at the diagrams again, it looks as if the rad & fan are doing their job, but for some reason the stat is closing stopping the coolant from flowing back through the system, which would explain why the car never overheats when the stat is removed, but it's had 4 new stats, so it can't be that, can it?

Just thought I'd post this again in case it got missed among the other posts :)

overheating TF 7 years 6 months ago #172163

These replacement thermostats, where did they come from?...............did you get them from some who knows what a MG actually is, or are they something the spotty 12yo oik at Halfords handed you?

Not all thermostats work the same, whilst I've not had the pleasure of having to deal with the cooling system of my F yet, I do know that on some cars such as the TR7 the correct pattern thermostat is important (it's a double valve type)
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

overheating TF 7 years 6 months ago #172165

• Daz
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
one was supplied by the mobile mechanics & the others I've sourced myself from a small motor factors I've used for years, the latest is from a rover 200 as it's an 82 degree version rather than 88.

Really clutching at straws here & I can't see it making much difference, does anyone know which way round the pipes connect onto the matrix? looking at mine the flow goes into the left hand side & the return comes out the right, just want to make sure this is right.

Last edit: Post by Daz.

overheating TF 7 years 6 months ago #172166

Does this help?
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daz

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

overheating TF 7 years 6 months ago #172168

• Daz
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks, I'll print that out & double check the routing tomorrow.

overheating TF 7 years 6 months ago #172171

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT