• Page:

Topic

Power Tools 10 years 5 months ago #133739

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
One of the most essential tools you will need if doing any serious replacement/maintenance on your F/TF is an angle grinder. Also known as a universal key, as it will open most padlocks. ;)

I just received this today and I can see it and me having a very productive relationship.

Apart from general metal work, anyone who has worked on an F/TF will tell you that when you come to undo a crucial bolt/nut, especially if you have a deadline, it will have seized or rusted solid.

Most famous of all are the Catalytic converter to exhaust bolts. If original, or more than a couple of years old, they will have become one solid mass and impossible to undo. This also goes for ball joint nuts etc etc.

If this is the case then a cutting disc in an angle grinder will have the nut off in seconds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cobber

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Power Tools 10 years 5 months ago #133741

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I love grinders.
I've cut loads of stuff with em. My tip is to take the side handle off when needed and screw the discs in tight or they will flap about a lot. Change the disc when they get thin.

And invest in some good gloves. I hot some welding gauntlets as grinders can lop a finger off easily.

Power Tools 10 years 5 months ago #133752

Angle grinders can be bloody dangerous!

* Always use eye protection!

* Always be aware of where the wash (shower of sparks) is going.

* On large angle grinders 6" 7" & 9" Never use with out the side handle.

* Never use without the safety guard fitted.

* Always have a sure firm grip of the tool.

* Always unplug the power (or remove battery) when changing wheels.

* Always have a fire extinguisher handy whilst using a grinder.

* Always have a responsible person to act as fire watch whilst using a grinder, and have them continue fire watch for at least 1/2 an hour afterwards. They should not only watch where the sparks are going they should also keep an eye on you too (I don't know how many times I've set myself on fire with these things) They should also keep an eye out for you accidentally cutting your own power cord. This can happen if your peripheral vision is impaired by a welding helmet.

* Never grind with a cutting wheel. Cutting wheels are for cutting, if you want to grind the burrs off after cutting change the bloody wheel over to a grinding wheel.

* When using cutting wheels on large grinders Make sure the blotter/flange ( Large diameter back plate) and nut are used and are of equal diameter. Large machine come with both large and small diameter nuts and blotters, the smaller one are for grinding wheels. Don't mix them up! For instance: If you were to use the small nut and large blotter in conjunction with a cutting wheel this would put a lateral tension on the center of the cutting wheel and could cause it to explode!

* Only tighten the wheel hand tight. The centrifugal force of the wheel spinning will keep it tight enough. Get it too tight and you may never get the thing undone again!

* Don't be a tightar$e, wheels are cheap! So change them when they are down to @2/3's of their original diameter. Grinding them down to nothing will only cause the nut to be jammed due to the centrifugal forces mentioned earlier.

* Never use worn down wheels from large machines on smaller machines. Yet again Don't be a tightar$e!

* Never apply heavy force or pressure on the grinder to the work surface. Let the tool do the work. A firm hold but a light touch is required.

* Always check the wheel's RPM rating is higher than the machines top speed.

You don't want to end up looking like these blokes!

One hell of a self inflicted hair lip

This bloke is bloody lucky to still have that eye!

:omg: Now that I've scared the living bejesus out of you all.
The angle grinder can be a safe and bloody useful, even essential tool when used properly!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Power Tools 10 years 5 months ago #133814

:omg: I think you need a 'graphics images' warning on this thread, my TV dinner nearly revisited my lap....

Power Tools 10 years 5 months ago #133817

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
To be fair, engineering is a dangerous business no matter what you are doing.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT