Find Posts from
Sort Results by
Search at a specific date
Jump to Result Number
Search in Categories

Search Results

Searched for: suplex
11 Mar 2012 10:48
Personally, I have always preferred the Trophy 160 set up. I part exchanged my first Trophy for a new TF 160 (with the lowered suspension option), and that lasted 6 months before I part exchanged the TF 160 - just didn't like it, as it was still too soft for my liking (but most would prefer softer rides, I guess..)

Having said that, a TF may be a better option, purely due to the lack of new hydro gas spheres (which are different for the Trophy models - so even more difficult to source). Being the owner of a Trophy 160, this worries me, as I am sure the Suplex system will kill the handling characteristics of the Trophy (being a ‘one size fits all’ design), and you cannot use any other damper apart from the Suplex designed examples.
Category: MGF/TF Pitstop
10 Mar 2012 19:55

You have really got to drive a normal TF to see what you think yourself, the later ones are much softer i am told.

There are new trophy spheres on Ebay at the moment, but they are expensive. Had you thought about the SUPLEX kit rather than the expense of changing subframes or even the Pocket Motors package.

Yes but only front ones from what I can gather the rear ones are the real raritys, the Suplex kit is as yet not fully proven not to mention pretty pricey I would guess circa £1200 by the time its fitted and isn't the Pocket Motors package the same as what Im talking about ?
10 Mar 2012 19:40
You have really got to drive a normal TF to see what you think yourself, the later ones are much softer i am told.

There are new trophy spheres on Ebay at the moment, but they are expensive. Had you thought about the SUPLEX kit rather than the expense of changing subframes or even the Pocket Motors package.
10 Mar 2012 16:51
The MGOC will not "rip you off" and would look at you F and advise what you need, without the usual "sucking of teeth" and saying thats going to be expensive mate, they have gained their reputation for not doing things like that. all of the articles written by Roger Parker and the advice he gives is based on many years of knoweledge gained from working on his own MGs. His V8 conversion, coupled with Ken Costello influenced MG to produce their own production version of a V8 MGB GT and what Roger dosent know about MGFs & TFs is not worth knowing. :nonod: If he said black was white i would believe him!

Brown and Gammons are mainly MG parts suppliers although Ron Gammons has raced MGs now for many years and is a well respected expert on MGs too, he replies to the questions raised by MG owners in Safety Fast (the MG Car Club magazine) and is also one of the directors of the MGCC.

The ride on your F does not sound right to me :slapme: The Nitrogen gas could be lost in one or more of the spheres which would make the ride hard, because the "spring effect" has gone. this gas loss would still allow the suspension to be pumped up to the correct dimensions, because the fluid would just push the rubber diapharam to the top of the sphere. if the shock absorbers are "shot" or if adjustable, not adjusted properley, this will cause bounce, increased by the hard ride.
I think, and a lot on here will agree with me, that the ride in a properley working F is far better than the TF unless you have the later one with the comfort pack.

Tyre type and the correct pressures have a dramatic affect on the ride too :yesnod: as far as i recall, you have 16" wheels on your car too, which also increases the firmness of ride.

Is your Tame mechanic aware of the characteristics of the MG F suspension??

New spheres are in very short supply and the Trophy ones currently on offer on Ebay are not suitable for a standard F, the fronts are different from the rears, second hand ones are plentiful from broken up cars, but yo dont know if the gas has gone or how long they will last :bang:

The change to TF suspension, requires the front and rear subframes to be replaced too as well as springs and shock absorbers one was done about two years ago, using new subframes and suspension parts and it cost £4500.

The SUPLEX conversion kit is another option in the UK and will cost £850 for the parts plus fitting.

Pocket Motors in Poole have converted an F to TF suspension and Darryl (the owner) reckone he can do it for around the £700 mark. as you can imagine he has received a lot of enquiries.

I hope this all helps with your problems :yesnod:
15 Nov 2011 00:52

WE SIMPLY REMOVE OUR SUBFRAMES AND REPLACE WITH TF SUBFRAMES.THE LABOUR IS £400 AND IT DEPENDS ON THE COST OF SECOND HAND TF SUBFRAMES,BUT THERE ARE PAINTED SO THEY ARE RUST FREE,THE AVERAGE COST FOR THE WHOLE JOB IS £900,AND YOU CAN THEN SELL YOUR OLD SUB FRAMES ON EBAY.BUT AS WITH A LOT OF THESE JOBS YOU GET WHILE THE CAR IS IN BITS CAN YOU!!!!!
YOU MAY AS WELL DO THE CLUTCH AND MAY AS WELL CHECK THE SUSPENSION BUSHES AND BRAKES.
TF SUSPENSION WAS FACTORY TESTED AND BEEN ON THE ROAD FOE YEARS SO WELL PROVEN.SUPLEX SUSPENSION IS WELL UN KNOWN.THE TF SUSPENSION WAS SIMPLY ADDED TO THE SUBFRAME.A FEW BRACKETS AND YOUR THERE.UNLESS THE SUPLEX BECOMES MUCH CHEAPER I CANT SEE IT BEING A MAJOR PLAYER.AND TO BE HONEST SEEING THEM IN THE BOX AND HOW SMALL THERE ARE IM NOT IMPRESSED.
MGFS ARE LIKE A KIT CAR,YOU CAN CHANGE THE PISTONS AND LINERS,CHANGE VVC TO NON VVC,CHANGE THE SEATS,DASH BOARD,HOODS,AND THE SUBFRAMES,AND EVEN BOLT ON THE TF BODY WORK ON TO AN F.YOU CAN TURN A 1996 MGF IN TO A 2005 160 IN A WEEK END EASY OR THE OTHER WAY ROUND.
SO ANY ONE WITH A PUMP UP SUSPENSION,GET FRONT AND REAR SUB FRAME FROM SOME LIKE MARTIN SMITH.COMPLETE WITH SUSPENSION AND DRIVESHALFS.AND JUST SWAP THEM OVER.

That is a very good price :thumbsup: i read an article last year in one of the MG Mags, either Enjoying MG or MG Enthusiast and the subframe swap and suspension conversion from F to TF cost £5000 (yes five grand) your price blows the suplex out of the water :broon: :broon:
I must admit the Aus kit looks the Dogs B******s and like the fact that you can use Blistein shocks :woohoo:
Displaying 286 - 290 out of 341 results.
Time to create page: 3.050 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT