Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #42953

Im seriously considering a subframe swap before the Border Patrol Italy Run, I would like to hear from people who have owned both to find out what to expect ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #42956

• Squeaks
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Loving owning a Porsche :)
I found the TF to be MUCH more forgiving over bumps,

down my lane the F used to make my spine crumble and teeth fall out, but the TF glided over them, it was still quite harsh compared to many cars but alot more refined than the trophys
Dan :)

:D I may not always be right..... BUT I am NEVER wrong lol :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: midlife martyr, Leigh Ping

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #42964

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I fitted Bilsteins, a 100% improvement, not sure if that is the answer you are looking for, but I like comfort, not feeling like my bum is hitting the road rather than Madam's :yesnod:

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #42969

Im seriously considering a subframe swap before the Border Patrol Italy Run, I would like to hear from people who have owned both to find out what to expect ?

You are changing your F to TF suspension and ditching the Hydragas ???

David will tell you that he likes the ride in his F :yesnod:

Clive will tell you that he likes the firmer ride in his TF :yesnod:

One of our club members has a LE 500 and has the comfort pack and says it is beautiful to drive.

I was a passenger in a 2003 TF from Esher in Surrey to Silverstone last year around the M25 and up the M40 and i found the ride hard, we came back on A & B roads following a L2 Magna (another club member) and the ride was teeth chattering :yesnod: Goodyear GSD2 tyres on.

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #42970

Thanks for the answers Dan and Jan
The reason Im thinking of the subframe swap is because of the rarity and ridiculous price of Trophy spheres the Idea of spending hundreds of pounds on second hand ones which may be not much better than the ones I have isn't appealing that and the fact I had to do my latest pump up after only 6 months means I have to take some action sooner rather than later

I was suprised to hear that the TF suspension was softer than the Trophys as on Org the TF ride has often been described as hard compared to the standard Fs

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #42975

You have really got to drive a normal TF to see what you think yourself, the later ones are much softer i am told.

There are new trophy spheres on Ebay at the moment, but they are expensive. Had you thought about the SUPLEX kit rather than the expense of changing subframes or even the Pocket Motors package.

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #42977

You have really got to drive a normal TF to see what you think yourself, the later ones are much softer i am told.

There are new trophy spheres on Ebay at the moment, but they are expensive. Had you thought about the SUPLEX kit rather than the expense of changing subframes or even the Pocket Motors package.

Yes but only front ones from what I can gather the rear ones are the real raritys, the Suplex kit is as yet not fully proven not to mention pretty pricey I would guess circa £1200 by the time its fitted and isn't the Pocket Motors package the same as what Im talking about ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #43030

Personally, I have always preferred the Trophy 160 set up. I part exchanged my first Trophy for a new TF 160 (with the lowered suspension option), and that lasted 6 months before I part exchanged the TF 160 - just didn't like it, as it was still too soft for my liking (but most would prefer softer rides, I guess..)

Having said that, a TF may be a better option, purely due to the lack of new hydro gas spheres (which are different for the Trophy models - so even more difficult to source). Being the owner of a Trophy 160, this worries me, as I am sure the Suplex system will kill the handling characteristics of the Trophy (being a ‘one size fits all’ design), and you cannot use any other damper apart from the Suplex designed examples.

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #43033

I like comfort, not feeling like my bum is hitting the road

Try staying off the sauce a bit. :P

Had a lowered pug 306 cabrio once which I thought had a harsh ride. No issues with the TF. Although, I happily skirt around potholes when I can.

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #43039

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Personally, I have always preferred the Trophy 160 set up. I part exchanged my first Trophy for a new TF 160 (with the lowered suspension option), and that lasted 6 months before I part exchanged the TF 160 - just didn't like it, as it was still too soft for my liking (but most would prefer softer rides, I guess..)

Jesus. How hard is the Trophy?

I test drove a TF160 with lowered suspension and it was far too hard for me and you think it was too soft? :unsure:

Re: How does a TFs suspension compare with a Trophys 12 years 2 months ago #43050

Jesus. How hard is the Trophy?

I test drove a TF160 with lowered suspension and it was far too hard for me and you think it was too soft? :unsure:

Strictly a personal thing, I am sure I am in the minority. Near the limits, the TF just wasn't quite as sharp as the Trophy - the former definitely under-steered a lot more (same tyres on both cars, too). Also, with 'F's', we sit higher up than most other sport's cars, so the lower the settings, the better.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT