Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Transplant OBD2 port worthwhile ? 1 month 4 weeks ago #206023

Im in the middle of transplanting an MGF EPAS column and it's ECU to my MGB project car. Is there any point in trying to install an OBD2 port for this just so I can connect my PSCAN to see the EPAS ECU or wouldnt it be worth the effort for the information or control this would provide ?

I have already done the sensor centralising adjustment whilst the column was off the car
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Transplant OBD2 port worthwhile ? 1 month 4 weeks ago #206027

How much info would you glean from your Pscan if you linked it into your transplanted system?
You’ve set the column up on the bench & my guess is that you’ll have more room in the B than the tf, if / when it drifts in future.
I had the lids off the two ECU systems the other day & they are both very busy pieces of kit, you wouldn’t want to upset that, nor would you want unsolicited signals getting into your Pscan if something goes tits up. I’ve just damaged a sensor due to a minor distraction, I have another & they cost 45p.
M

Transplant OBD2 port worthwhile ? 1 month 4 weeks ago #206037

If you already have a pscan then defintely, yes. An OBD socket is under £5 on ebay or Amazon.

It's much easier to calibrate the MGF EPAS if you have a pscan. There's a video here

Just try to make sure that the OBD socket (and therefore pscan) is earthed as near as possible to the earth of the ECUs that you are using. This can be a problem with MGFs because the engine ECU seems to be earthed a long way from the socket and it causes problems. It isn't such a problem with front wheel driver Rovers for some reason. pscan doesn't really care about chassis ground, it's trying to talk to ECUs so it's the ground of the ECU that counts.

Transplant OBD2 port worthwhile ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #206071

Thanks thats great. I have ordered a socket. Should I use a screened lead or isnt that essential for short runs ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Transplant OBD2 port worthwhile ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #206078

They aren't screened in the factory installations.

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT