Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 4 months ago #136418

Well I really loved my Mk2 MG Midget which came to a sticky end with me in the passenger seat at Easter in 1976. It was Dove Grey with red trim and I'd love to build an MGF in those colours - sounds awful but looked great. I loved every minute driving that car and even though the hood was the sort that you took to pieces and put in the boot, I made it a strict rule that it always came off if it wasn't raining. I had the car during that exceptional summer in 1975 when the roof was off for a whole month.

After that the one that comes to mind was a 1987 SAAB 900i (3 door) which I collected ex-works in Gothenburg (although it was made in Finland). It was exceptionally comfortable and I remenber one autobahn drive (at night - headlights were a tad better than the MGF) when I averaged a genuine 100 MPH over 400 miles. It could easily do 120 indicated which was better than the spec.

Must find the photos!

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 4 months ago #136439

Caddy - STS Seville with the 4.6 Northstar engine. 300bhp through the front wheels, and footwells so big you could avoid a collision by running around them :P .

what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 4 months ago #136441

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I think you have to qualify exceptional.

My Landrover that I built was exceptional off road and great fun, but, as a car that gives me great fun and always makes me smile it has to be.....

Sorry. Some might think it is an odd choice, but out of all the cars I've had it has been the only one that I couldn't bring myself to sell. Even when I bought a newer one. :drive:

what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 4 months ago #136451

Has to be my Hawk 289 that I built and rebuilt and fettled to death and eventually sold. It was an exceptionally good drive until I replaced the MGB fixed axle with a Jag XJ6 rear end..Totally ruined it!

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
Attachments:

what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 1 month ago #140674

Without doubt the most exceptional car I owned and which cultivated my yearning for the open road, was my Austin Healey 100 BN1...Tatty when I bought it, with fiberglass wings with a poor paint job in Healey Ice Blue.
After crunching it one Christmas morning on my way to work (yes really!) :oops: The repairs included replacing the wings with hand fabricated ones in Aluminium and shroud repairs by an 'Artist" (that's the only way to describe his work). It also motivated me to carry out other mechanical interior and body restoration before painting her in Royal Blue over English Cream. Top down was the only way to enjoy driving.. the sounds and the smells... ahh memories...
I still love driving with the top down and wish I still owned my Big Healey with it's lack of refinements.....

Last edit: Post by Miccon.

Re:what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 1 month ago #140677

I loved my 1977 Austin Princess 2.2HLS Auto... She had the beautiful H series straight six engine and silky smooth Borg Warner gearbox..... And she drive like a grand old Lady. Sadly written off by a lorry while stationary at lights!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 1 month ago #140688

It would have to be this, very impressive for a 17 year old back in the early sixties, bought for £10 with collapsed rear suspension and fixed in an afternoon with no more than a spring bush plus a couple of new bolts
" The Nation that forgets it's defenders, shall itself be soon forgot" Calvin Coolidge
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 1 month ago #140716

Two remarkable cars come to mind, the first would be my day one MG maestro, it was 17 years old when I bought it through ebay for £235 and absolutely original (except for the rust), it wasn't until I was on the way back from Nottingham when I was looking at the documents that I realised it had been registered on the day of release, out of the window went the chav modding plans and we sold her shortly later for a profit.

The second would be my VW beetle based Baja bug that had been used at one point to advertise the V Rally video game. It had been fitted with a stonking AV install which was believed to be the first in the UK, unfortunately this was missing when I got it but it was still worthy of a top 20 prize at the annual L2B VW aircooled run - again it was sold for a decent profit. (details of this one are at www.babelfish.demon.co.uk/bajahome.htm )

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

what's the most exceptional car you ever owned? 10 years 1 month ago #140775

Lovely little car :drive: was my very first own car in 1959. 2stroke 20HP no synk gb.
Always parked in front of a slope (down) left a nice blue cloud for the followers to smell.
But it was mine, and I was able to drive girls home from the dance (for a cup of tea)
http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/gutbrod-superior.html

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT