Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF Steptronic flywheel locking 2 weeks 4 days ago #206489

I have a 2001 MGF Steptronic, I'm currently doing a cambelt change I'm struggling to find the correct tool, to lock the auto gearbox flywheel.
There's no way to lock the engine using the brakes etc, as with a manual gearbox and so to remove the crank end pulley bolt, I need a flywheel locking tool.

Question is, will a normal locking tool as here, OEM 15G 1571, fit the flywheel on a 2001 Steptronic?
I've discovered that the starting motor for a Steptronic has 11 teeth, but the manual starting motor has 12 teeth, so I'm now doubting the flywheels are the same,unless I'm wrong?
It's an expensive item to purchase, so I need to get the correct tool. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Mildred1231.

MGF Steptronic flywheel locking 2 weeks 2 days ago #206543

If you cover my postage i can lend you the flywheel and camshaft locking tools i bought to do my cambelt change as I wont have time to do it for at least a month. I cant be sure whether it will be ok for a steptronic but you'd only be wasting postage costs if not rather than buying the part
2003 TF 135 sunstorm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mildred1231

MGF Steptronic flywheel locking 2 weeks 2 days ago #206553

Thanks for the very generous offer.
I've had a couple of hours working on the MG today. I've removed the heat shield, a blank covering the starting motor bolts and the starting motor too.
I managed to find a "L" shaped metal plate which fitted in the starting motor appurture exactly and it locked the flywheel
Happily, the crank pulley bolt undid quite easily, maybe not torqued down correctly?, but anyway, it undid ok and I'm progressing with the cambelt change.
Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated

Last edit: Post by Mildred1231.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT