Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205555

Does anyone happen to know a source for nylon sheer pins ? I had to drill out a nylon sheer pin to separate the front shaft on an MGF steering column that Im modifying to use in a project car. It would be good to replace the pin with the same thing now it's being reassembled.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205557

I’m not familiar with the makeup of the column, although that is likely to change if the chap from whom I’m trying to buy an adjustable version were to answer emails & we can agree on a price.
Where about is the pin & what function does it perform, is it a sheer pin, what diameter & length, has it a rivet or screw head?
M

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205559

Ive never seen a steering column wearing any makeup but thats by the by.

The front shaft and the shaft that goes down to the motor are joined in a tube. The front shaft is permanently welded in place but the other, which is splined is secured by a nylon sheer pin with blind, flush ends.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205563

Right, the only bit I fully understood was my rather dumb typo.
I take it that in the case of an accident the pin shears & the column telescopes whilst the air bag deploys.
If that is the case & you want to retain that level of safety, you really do need something approaching the original.
If you can measure the diameter I’ll have a rummage in my plastics box, although most of samples in there are probably too resilient.
M

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205572

Its got nothing to do with the air bag, in a collision it might shear and allow the column to telescope about 10mm, I think the only real puropse is to hold the column together during assembly. However as always Google and Ebay are your friends;
Plastic Rod Bar Round Acetal Acrylic Nylon PTFE 2mm to 30mm Dia. various length
Buy It Now

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205573

Those four pictures are how my plastics box should look. That interspersed with sheet & amorphous off cuts.
I wasn’t implying that the pin was instrumental in deploying the airbag, just that whilst one was shearing the bag might be coming to smack you one in the face.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205575

I need a new brain ! I searched for ages for nylon shear pins, assuming these were sold as dedicated parts for a number of similar applications and I just wasnt using the right search criteria. it hadnt crossed my mind to look for lengths of nylon and acrylic rod which is exactly what they are. That will do nicely.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205576

I need a new brain ! I searched for ages for nylon shear pins, assuming these were sold as dedicated parts for a number of similar applications and I just wasnt using the right search criteria. it hadnt crossed my mind to look for lengths of nylon and acrylic rod which is exactly what they are. That will do nicely.

We are all in the same boat, judging by re reading some of my posts I wonder what planet I was on when I wrote it.
I did actually think it might be simpler to tap a thread in the outer tube and put a grub screw in.

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205578

If you measure the diameter & what sort of length would suit, I’ll tip my box out & have a root. Obviously no promises, but I’ll stick a bit in a jiffy & shunt it down to you if I’ve anything like.
It’ll also give me the opportunity to clear out scraggy ends, mouse droppings & dead spiders.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205579

If you measure the diameter & what sort of length would suit, I’ll tip my box out & have a root. Obviously no promises, but I’ll stick a bit in a jiffy & shunt it down to you if I’ve anything like.
It’ll also give me the opportunity to clear out scraggy ends, mouse droppings & dead spiders.
M

What a great offer not only can he get the bit he needs…. But with bonus mouse droppings and dead spiders! :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205581

I’m not sure of the types of spiders they would be, but I have a number of different types & sizes. If you let me know your preference I’ll see if I can oblige.
Big Bugger or fat sod with long legs won’t do, you would have to use Linnaean binomial nomenclature to ensure the corpse is correct.
Mouse shit is mouse shit & that’s optional.
M

Sheer pins for steering column ? 3 months 1 week ago #205590

Thanks Mike. Do you have a short length of 3mm nylon bar please ?. An inch of the stuff would be plenty
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.959 seconds