Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rear Drainholes Confusion and Cavity Wax 5 months 3 days ago #204963

Good evening everyone,

Although I'm still learning about my TF which I picked up a few weeks ago, I thought I would try and get some cavity wax (Bilt Hamber Dynax S50) into the sills. It doesn't cost a huge amount for a 750ml can of Dynax, and we've had a break in the rain giving the sills a good few days to drain.

Although the temperature outdoors isn't ideal for such a job, the Dynax seemed to flow very well and even dripped like a liquid through the front drain holes. It also pushed a few milliliters (ie 1 desert spoon) of water through the sill seam in the midpoint of the car!

What confused me however was the rear drain holes. After application I was able to poke a bit of strimmer cable through the front drain holes with no problem. The rear drain holes however I can't poke the cable through. I've looked at some general pictures online of the rear drain holes and I'm confused about their design.

Is anyone able to clarify whether what I found is normal or not? Alternatively, is there anyone knowledgeable near Eastleigh/Southampton who might be able to help me check?

Many thanks
Matt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rear Drainholes Confusion and Cavity Wax 5 months 2 days ago #204971

In Roger Parkers book he does mention that these drain holes can be very narrow, he recommends using a thin bladed screwdriver to lever them open while at the same time trying not to damage the paint! The Bilt Hamber wax has good reviews but all cavity waxes creep, gravity will add to the effect and in hot weather all cavity waxes to a greater or lesser degree will be heading towards those drainage slots. Apparently Waxoil is the worst offender.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trevtherevs

Rear Drainholes Confusion and Cavity Wax 5 months 2 days ago #204973

I can vouch for the waxoil every year I now use a thick piece of wire to clear the drain holes out. I couldnt understand after the first year I had drenched the sills in waxoil why I had what seemed like a tidal wave in the driverside sill slooshing about. AS I relieved the front sill drain hole with firstly a screw driver then a piece of stiff wire ,it was like breaking a dam.

Rear Drainholes Confusion and Cavity Wax 5 months 2 days ago #204978

Thanks for the replys :)

I've been outside in the cold drizzle this morning checking the drain holes again. I'm confident the fronts are okay, but the back ones are still puzzling me.

I poked a very small screwdriver into the rear drain hole and gave it a wiggle. I can't get the screw driver to move inside any further and I can't pull out any dirt. If someone knowledgeable and local to Southampton is able to help me check the holes I would be really grateful.

In the meantime, I have parked the car on a slight slope with the nose pointing downwards.

Many thanks
Matt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT