Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

New car 6 months 1 week ago #204734

I know what you mean about an old car traveling all over Europe. On a plus point I've moto toured Europe every year since 1995, except during COVID however always on motorbikes . During that time I've had two breakdowns, once on a brand new moto guzi cal 1100 had to be recovered home, the second time on my BMW k750 rt brakes failed. Managed to get the BMW sorted in Spain and carried on with the trip. My BMW now has 125k miles on it, and last year covered 3k in Europe and 4k at home. So why an MG ft well my wife can't manage the bike anymore and it's the only car I've driven that has the feel of a motorbike. Let's hope I go to Europe and have trouble free motoring, if I don't well it adds to the adventure, don't think my wife would see it that way though.:bust: :bust: should have said the BMW is on a 89 plate, they use to be built by engineers back then now sadly built by accounts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Doc1966.

New car 6 months 1 week ago #204736

Good to know I'd heard the reputation was outstanding thanks for the reply

New car 6 months 1 week ago #204737

Oh yes should have said the BMW is on a 89 plate

New car 2 days 2 hours ago #206886

Hey Kieran,

Congrats on your potential new purchase! Given the car's age and mileage, it's a good idea to replace the head gasket, timing belt, and water pump, especially since the service records are spotty. These components are crucial for the longevity of the engine and can prevent costly breakdowns. Plus, it's better to do them now rather than wait for a failure.

Last edit: Post by Cobber. Reason: suspected advertising content removed

New car 1 day 22 hours ago #206887

Actually I'd definatly give the car a service and do the timing belt, but other than checking for problems I'd leave the head gasket alone......Don't mess with success!
Compression tests, cylinder leak down tests, coolant sniff tests and coolant system pressure tests will indicate head gasket problems as will an inspection of the oil quality, snotty oil will not do! and is an indicator of head gasket problems. But it these all pass then leave the head gasket alone.
Don't rely on service records as the work may not have been done properly.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

New car 7 hours 30 minutes ago #206894

I for one wouldn't pay £4000 for a 2005 TF, I recently bought a 2004 TF for £365, granted it needed a new starter motor (I already had a spare) but the engine (83000) runs very well. The interior is immaculate, a few bits of cosmetic work and it will be perfect. A previous owner wax oiled it in 2012 and the head gasket was done at a similar time. Would I drive it across Europe? Certainly and without hesitation, plenty of others have. The boot is enormous and if you use "squashable" luggage then there will be no problems. We have just returned from spending nine weeks touring NZ and OZ and all our luggage would easily have fitted in the TF.
Another owner paid top money for a TF from one of the "best" TF sellers, all their cars have a head gasket change before sale and he had head gasket failure within a month, he said his guarantee was worthless. I have two TF's the other cost me £600, I repaired the sills using Mike Satur's repair panels, I have replaced every suspension bush with polybushes, all new balljoints and wheel bearings, and added a low coolant alarm, big brake disc kit front and rear, brake servo reinforcement bracket, new clutch, galvanised subframes and Bilstein kit. I have probably spent another £2000 but now have a TF that handles and brakes like very few others

Last edit: Post by MGB281.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT