Sign In   Register

Topic

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 3 weeks ago #204694

My '96 car doesn't have power steering. I've driven plenty of classics without PS but none of them had 185s on the front and I feel the F would be much nicer with it. There seem to be a few posts on various forums to suggest it is simply a matter of swapping steering columns but is there anyone here who has done this or can at least confirm what is possible.

Many thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 3 weeks ago #204695

It can be done, read here; https://www.mgfregister.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6671

and here; https://www.mg-rover.org/threads/fitting-a-power-steering-column.243756/

remember Google is your best friend when wanting to know.

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 3 weeks ago #204698

My word Jeramy you’ve smashed into the scene with intent, two good questions in quick succession.
Firstly I’d have a good look at the wiring diagram, which is available on here, also find Dieter’s website, he has an early version of the f wiring diagram which has details which differ from the tbar drawing.
Now search for the EPS wiring loom, I suspect it will be already in, as there would be little point in making several looms for different models of cars. My car has all the dangley bits for aircon as an example.
You should have connectors up behind the airbag blank (assuming no airbag) & they will be power to the control electronics & signal. The second connector is exactly where you would expect it to be & that’s just behind where the column enters the dash.
Drop the glove box & the drivers foot well / fuse box cover & you should be able to trace those. The next piece of the jigsaw is the 70(?)amp fuse, wing mounted on the RHS under the bonnet.
I’m blessed by having two great scrapyard close to me & I could pick all those items up in one drop & as non of these items are sought after that would reflected in the price.
There again I might have an advantage over another visitor as I’ve been a customer for a long time, building up a relationship with the staff & not needing my tool bag checking on departure.
One thing to consider & as you are already familiar with the road feel without the EPS, is to make the system switchable. I’ve done this by fitting a fat relay adjacent to the fuse & controlled from a switch in the cockpit. It’s straight forward & if you have roads at your disposal which make you smile to the point of facial rigor mortis, ( Trough of Bowland & Bowland fells) you might consider it worth while.
I know that the system is designed to be successively less intrusive as the speed increases but there seems to be an extra feeling of road connectedness with it switched out.
If other members wish to sample the EPS switched out you simply remove the 70a fuse.
BUT you do this at your own risk 👉⚠️ 👈 Please note you are all consenting adults & you make a conscious effort to try this.
That fuse does not fall out on its own, you have to do it & to replace it after.
A warning light will appear on the dash to tell you that the system is in a “fault condition”.
You are on your own from now on.
M

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 3 weeks ago #204707

Does your F have a drivers airbag ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 3 weeks ago #204709

I’m afraid I can’t be of much help with this one as all Oz spec cars came very high spec, there weren’t many option boxes left to tick, so need to do upgrades.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 2 weeks ago #204843

Does your F have a drivers airbag ?

All F's have a driver airbag and pre-tensioners on both seats and wiring for the passenger side airbag, even if it wasn't fitted.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 2 weeks ago #204848

Yes, I have airbag drivers side only (assume badly fitting panel with nothing written on it passenger side is not an airbag).

Whilst I have experience with classics without PS most of what I drive these days either does or is my Sprite which has a large wheel and skinny tyres so I think my steering technique has been got a bit lazy. I've been concentrating the last week on steering actively with both hands, pushing not pulling and using my elbows and shoulders rather than my wrists. As a result I'm currently thinking that I don't need to upgrade.

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 2 weeks ago #204850

I’m with you all the way with the EPS until I have to reverse into my garage which is an up hill “S” with a tight nip at the end followed by a rapid straighten up to get square over the pit.
I have other places that I use regularly which are always vacant because as most people drive into parking spaces. I search out spots where a reverse manoeuvre isn’t too difficult & driving out a doddle, driving in & reversing out can leave parts of your front end damaged, judging by the festival of multicoloured shattered plastic.
I once had a troubling trip around Manchester which was stop/start around side street, it was only when aligning to reverse into the garage that I realised I’d inadvertently switched the EPS off. And why didn’t I notice the warning light was illuminated? Driving to, around & from Manchester is a concentration workout on a par with the riggers of a moon landing.
It is almost worth tracking down an airbag to save you looking at your deformed blank. The real do is a much better piece of workmanship.
M

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 2 weeks ago #204873

Thanks. Does, the passenger airbag just plug in to an empty connector somewhere?
The following user(s) said Thank You: gerry

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 2 weeks ago #204874

You have to have the controller configured for dual airbags. There have been variations within this discussion over the years, some arguing that it’s a pointless exercise & might even be counterproductive; I couldn’t follow this line.
One line that is followable is that all the SRS equipment is time expired, but I suspect it’s a better bet to have something that could we’ll work to protect you & your passenger than have absolutely no possibility. Nothing.
From this you might have gathered that I have fitted & configured the system but it wasn’t without problems.
There were genuine & brand new MG airbag modules available a while ago, they were being sold from an unlikely source who didn’t seem to be aware of what they had & priced them at flog off rates, I bought two. The controller module was a frustration from beginning to the projects conclusion when the SRS light went out & stayed out.
Part numbers didn’t correspond to units supplied & had to be returned, suppliers claiming that they had enabled the second airbag. Obviously I complains & was refunded & told not to bother returning the unit, I now have several of these so if you want one pop around you can take your pick.
Eventually I did what I should have done in the first place & that was to speak to Darren at ‘Bitz, a couple of days later & after what felt like dragging a granite bolder up a hill, it all worked.
So yes all the connectors are there & you can plug it up & there is an outside possibility of your controller recognising the airbag & reporting A OK but it’s a slim chance, very slim.
M

Power Steering upgrade to early F 5 months 2 weeks ago #204875

OK thanks. :)

Power Steering upgrade to early F 4 months 2 weeks ago #205131

The EPAS fuse is 40 amp the holder is marked 70amp because it came from ''The parts bin'' again.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT