Current consumtion

Current consumtion was created by digcot65

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #203561
Can someone tell me please the current consumption ,when the car is left in the garage Im not using mine now,due to health problems and I have put it up for sale . I would like to keep the battery charged,with a trickle charger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Current consumtion

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #203562
The stupid alarm system drains current from the battery in a week or two, ultimately killing the battery, I never bothered to find out at what rate, I just remove a battery terminal if the car is going to be unused for more than a few days.
As the battery is only a piddly little thing, it doesn’t take much of a drain to flatten it.
At one stage I had it connected to a solar charging system, but that was useless as the bastard alarm just drained the battery faster than it could be charged.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:11 months 2 weeks ago by Cobber
Last edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Replied by Airportable on topic Current consumtion

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #203563
50ma is a useful figure as originally supplied. Over the years previous owners might have laden the vehicle down with junk that provides no conceivable advantage.
I have seen cars whose batteries have failed due to a relay which did nothing other than draw current.
My car is no stranger to supplementary relays, they are switched electronically, protected by fused & are thus isolated once the key is safely in my pocket.
M

Replied by Notanumber on topic Current consumtion

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #203564
Having once seriously boiled the battery on the MGB with a charger that had been sold as a trickle charger/ battery conditioner I now dont trust leaving them on indefinitely. You could set an analogue plug in timer to give half an hour's charge a day. A digital plug in timer would give you even more control such as giving it an hour's charge twice a week.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Airportable on topic Current consumtion

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #203573
This is a good system to set up, however a goodly number of these units don’t go straight to charge, you have to manually select the parameters you require. Of the collection of chargers I have about the workshop & garage, the best devices for batteries of all states of dilapidation have to be set manually. The others would munch through batteries if not not watched.
M
Last Edit:11 months 2 weeks ago by Airportable
Last edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Airportable.

Replied by Pharg55 on topic Current consumtion

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #203575
A very good point, Airportable. The old type of charger would be fine for this, but newer, digital ones need some user input before they are set correctly.
by Pharg55

Replied by markvrs on topic Current consumtion

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #203578
To answer the original question, MGRover said in their Tech Tip No TT00361/5/2002

MG F, MG TF Ignition On with Engine Running 5.8 amps. Ignition Off 19 to 21milli-amps
by markvrs
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, sworkscooper, Airportable, Pharg55

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds