Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Current consumtion 8 months 3 weeks ago #203561

Can someone tell me please the current consumption ,when the car is left in the garage Im not using mine now,due to health problems and I have put it up for sale . I would like to keep the battery charged,with a trickle charger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Current consumtion 8 months 3 weeks ago #203562

The stupid alarm system drains current from the battery in a week or two, ultimately killing the battery, I never bothered to find out at what rate, I just remove a battery terminal if the car is going to be unused for more than a few days.
As the battery is only a piddly little thing, it doesn’t take much of a drain to flatten it.
At one stage I had it connected to a solar charging system, but that was useless as the bastard alarm just drained the battery faster than it could be charged.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Current consumtion 8 months 3 weeks ago #203563

50ma is a useful figure as originally supplied. Over the years previous owners might have laden the vehicle down with junk that provides no conceivable advantage.
I have seen cars whose batteries have failed due to a relay which did nothing other than draw current.
My car is no stranger to supplementary relays, they are switched electronically, protected by fused & are thus isolated once the key is safely in my pocket.
M

Current consumtion 8 months 3 weeks ago #203564

Having once seriously boiled the battery on the MGB with a charger that had been sold as a trickle charger/ battery conditioner I now dont trust leaving them on indefinitely. You could set an analogue plug in timer to give half an hour's charge a day. A digital plug in timer would give you even more control such as giving it an hour's charge twice a week.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Current consumtion 8 months 3 weeks ago #203573

This is a good system to set up, however a goodly number of these units don’t go straight to charge, you have to manually select the parameters you require. Of the collection of chargers I have about the workshop & garage, the best devices for batteries of all states of dilapidation have to be set manually. The others would munch through batteries if not not watched.
M

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Current consumtion 8 months 3 weeks ago #203575

A very good point, Airportable. The old type of charger would be fine for this, but newer, digital ones need some user input before they are set correctly.

Current consumtion 8 months 3 weeks ago #203578

To answer the original question, MGRover said in their Tech Tip No TT00361/5/2002

MG F, MG TF Ignition On with Engine Running 5.8 amps. Ignition Off 19 to 21milli-amps
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, sworkscooper, Airportable, Pharg55

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT