Sign In   Register

Topic

Car will turn over but wont start 9 months 14 hours ago #203376

Tried your tip David. No dice.

@Airportable I have seen some of the discussions about whether the fuel tank should gasp for air when opened. Mine only does it when drained from a long drive. Otherwise its quiet.

Ah well, worth a shot...
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Car will turn over but wont start 9 months 14 hours ago #203377

This a question I really feel I should know the answer to & it leads on to a discussion we had on here a good while ago, possibly David might recall. Firstly, should the petrol tank gasp for air when removing to refuel, secondly is it detrimental if it doesn’t?
My car amongst a lot of others on here, if historic posts are anything to go by are irritatingly slow fillers. I reasoned that providing there were no kinks or restrictions in the pipe work venting was the problem & that could be exacerbated by the flap through which you insert the filler nozzle. The Japanese spect cars don’t have this & as Rimmers had these on offer at the time I thought I’d give it a go. I didn’t. So when I noticed that two out of the three spot welds which hold said flap had failed I carefully cut the third & rived it out, causing the cap not to seal as it did. Hence the question.
And did it’s removal overcome the slow filling problem? No, it created another, it is better but if you’re being profligate & filling up up, once near “my cup runneth over “ point on the fuel gauge, it does & blows back slopping fuel down your freshly polished paintwork.
M

My car has never been a "gasper" so I can't contribute to that discussion.
On the slow filling, however, that is almost universal. It is caused by the unusual angle the filler pipe takes. It can be cured by inserting the filler nozzle and rotating it clockwise until the trigger is pointing at the 10-11 o'clock position. You will feel the nozzle slide further into the filler pipe. Ooh err! Then you can fill at normal speed.
Once you find the right angle it will become automatic. I find myself doing it on my Honda!
David
:shrug:

Car will turn over but wont start 9 months 10 hours ago #203380

I’ve tried every point on the clock, both twelve & twenty four hour formats, sidereal time, every point on the compass down to degrees & minutes. Vehicles can come & go whilst I’m stud there, anyone observing me must wander what size of tank it has, they’ve turned up put eighty quids worth in their Range Rover & are off whilst I’m stood there whistling & looking around as if there’s a pipe running out of the bottom of the car back into the holding tank.
It’s an MG thing & if your car’s a numb filler, put up with it.
M

Car will turn over but wont start 8 months 3 weeks ago #203448

Thanks David, can I rule out a clogged charcoal filter being the issue if the car wont start even with the filler cap off?

Also good tip about fuel filling.

Update: Cant work out what's wrong with it. Think i'm gonna sell it as a non runner on ebay for £300. thanks all.

Last edit: Post by djkeenan.

Car will turn over but wont start 6 months 3 weeks ago #204321

The tank is pressurised so the vapour is sent to the charcoal canister and into the inlet manifold to be burnt. it should ALLWAYS hiss when removing cap, if not replace the cap washer. fuel filling hold the nozzle at the 9 o' clock position. don't overfill the tank!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Car will turn over but wont start 6 months 3 weeks ago #204323

Do you mean this? https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-725414

And will this fault stop an engine from starting when hot? i.e. run the engine, turn off car and try to start and the engine will crank but not start like its missing one of the essentials (air, spark or fuel).

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT