Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195314

Hi All  Have replace my PRT and an couple of coolant hoses. Strange when I bleed the system no water comes out of the metal engine rail bleed. No water is pumping back into the expansion tank

Have checked for any blockages on the inlet jiggle vales all clear and not stuck.

It appears that no water id being driven via the engine rail?

Temperature look ou during bleed and rad and radiator all bleed OK.

Any ideas?

Robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195316

Sometimes the bleed hole gets gunged up and crusted over. Try removing the bleed nut and poking a screwdriver into the hole. 
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195317

Thank David. It's a new engine rail (S/S) and the inlet manifold ball (jiggle?) is free, if I blow through it. However once the coolant starts to get hot it flow well from the engine rail. An all the pipes to the expansion are very hot. See Update below.

Update:When engine is up to temperature all pipes hot, so it shows there is water in them. All accept the inlet manifold pipe from manifold to expansion tank. This is cold!

Last edit: Post by Fisher.

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195322

Have you tried taking the return pipe off the 4 way junction? Is the return pipe free from blockage? What about the return inlet on the expansion tank is that blocked?
David

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195325

Hi David - Can blow through inlet manifold (Jiggle) pipe, can blow through all pipes from the 4 Way Junction. However, as I had to release some coolant to gain access to the pipes, I found in the bucket a hairy-thing!!! Quite large so it must have come out of the pipework somewhere. Even disonnected the radiator bottom hose and when blowing through the pipes it drives water out of the lower hose.

Need some more coolant, so off to Halfords. Will probably get it back together tomorrow, or thursday, so will let you know the outcome.

Cheers for your help.

Robert

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195350

Hi David Checked all hoses. no blockage. Coolant flowing from 4-way junction, changed all pipes from 4-way to expansion bottle and inlet manufold, so no blockages!

Have noticed that when running engine (to bleed the coolant), the level in the expansion tank increased quite high up in the tank. At engine temp bleed all points. Although into is not recomended, I have remove the coolant pressure cap from the tank with not escape of pressure.

So it appears that the system is not pressurising!. Changed coolant cap, twice! no change.

There are no leaks so I am at a loss! Car runs great no overheating.

Any further ideas?

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195351

You need to pin down why the system is not pressurising.  Either you have a leak in the system or, more likely, the pressure caps are faulty.  The rising coolant level is indicative of no/ low pressure.
I have a pressure test kit and I have tested supposed brand new oem caps and they have failed immediately. They should hold 15psi...
In fact, I could blow through one "brand-new" cap just with lung pressure!

I only buy pressure caps from Rimmer Brothers now. I've not had one of theirs fail on testing.

David

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195352

David - The cause of the non-flow of the return to the expansion type solved. The 4-way connector has a reduction vavle , mine was in the incorrect pipe. It was in the engine rail to 4-way instead of the 4-way heater pipe outlet. Swopped over and not have a return feed.

I think it may have been assembled incorrectly, as the 4-way connector and pipes are supplied as one unit!

Now to order some new pressure caps.

Thanks again David your input has been valuable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195365

David Continuing saga! Having place this restrictor in the heather 4-way outlet. The heater only gets warm, not hot! So that is not correct. Have removed the restrictor completly to see what happens!

I think its the jiggle vales in the inley manifold. Howewer when I plow through the pipe, blocking the return pipe and expansion pipe I get air bubbles coming up in the expansion tank, That to me says it not blocked. But who knows!

Any further advice. Coming to the end of my tether now.
Robert

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195367

I think the restrictor is for the return to expansion tank.
David

Strange Coolant Performance 3 years 1 month ago #195368

Have left the restrictor out. Double checked jiggle valve, clear. 30 mile run no overheating or problems.
No too sure whether I should put it back in (unless someone says it must go back in!). And as you say it may be coolant 4-way to small engine rail pipe where it goes.

Anyway thanks for your help and input.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT