Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Bolt on rear suspension broke 4 years 4 months ago #192222

• jelly's Avatar Topic Author
  • jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Good idea Sundance good service again off Rimmers ordered Monday arrived Tuesday two bolts and two gaiters. So if I get car back for weekend that will be my weekend took care of happy days:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Bolt on rear suspension broke 4 years 3 months ago #192281

• jelly's Avatar Topic Author
  • jelly
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Well it didn't give up without a fight but after removing the arm and welding a spanner on what was left of the bolt and a few extension bars it gave up B)
Next question think I will remove hub and put new gaiters on what else is worth changing bushes ball joints?

Re:Bolt on rear suspension broke 4 years 3 months ago #192283

If your car has not had the wheel bearings done and its over 70k miles, and you are thinking of replacing the ball joints, a new hub will give you a new upper ball joint and a new wheel bearing, and they are not too expensive to buy. In my experience ball joints and wheel bearings have a lifespan of 70-80k miles on our cars - that is OEM ones of course. Wheel bearings are ok to remove if you have the right kit, upper ball joints are really tight and take some cracking off, easier to fit a new hub if you wish to do both.
Also worth while trying to get the ABS sensor off the hub and cleaning out the thread and replacing the bolt for either a brass or stainless steel one, the bolt usually seizes up and can be a pain to remove. Always worth keeping a couple of spare ABS sensor brackets in stock as they can break while trying to remove them.
Since you have the car on stands and the wheel off, always a good idea to clean the calipers and brake pads and give them a coat of anti-seize.

Sundance

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT