Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Wiring-memes 2 and 3 Am I going mad? 4 years 5 months ago #191798

Recently purchased vin 512022 1.8 vvc mk2 I say mk2 due to internal facia spruced up from my last one. Everything suggests mems2, silver emu with two male plugs one black and one red, 1.8 vvc and age. Also obd2 reader not talking to emu.
Car is fine if perhaps a little sluggish but that is subjective.
Fault
Engine management light does not come on at the bulb test phase of ignition/putting key in. Bulb is checked and is ok, fuses ok. Not checked any relays. Light does not come on if I remove an engine temp sensor while the engine is running.
Also don’t think the volumetric sensor is working.
So I decided to check wiring from instrument panel to emu. According to the wiring diagrams vvc1.8 mems2 emu light feed goes to pin 6 of the grey plug and is green and red. My wiring is pin 6 orange and blue which is the mems3 colour code.
My next try at fault diagnosis will be to run a fly lead from the pin on the emu to a working bulb and earth is this a good idea?
Any help would be really appreciated

Darren

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wiring-memes 2 and 3 Am I going mad? 4 years 5 months ago #191799

Darren,

I'm no wiring expert, but if you've stuck a pin in your Emu i think he will be enraged and i would keep well out of the way............look what happened to Parky!

I feel like i've helped.

Norm
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Wiring-memes 2 and 3 Am I going mad? 4 years 5 months ago #191800

Thanks for the reply, I used the term pin to describe the specific part of the connection plug for that wire. I.e a three pin plug has three pins that connect to the socket. My idea was to connect a fly lead to the specific pin on the emu connector for the engine light while the connector was running and the car was running and rig up a lead which basically initiates the eml.

Wiring-memes 2 and 3 Am I going mad? 4 years 5 months ago #191804

AFAIK the Mk2 vin starts at 522573 so yours is indeed MEMS2J but a MY2000 version. So a Mk2 but not yet MEMS3.

You will need either a pscan unit or Textbook equipment to diagnose your ECU fault. Where are you as there may be someone close by who has a pscan that may be able to help?

Sorry, can't help with the wiring as I don't have a VVC any longer.
Robin ;)

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

Wiring-memes 2 and 3 Am I going mad? 4 years 5 months ago #191814

Hi thanks for your reply..
I am in Suffolk.
I thought mems 2 as well due to age and ecu. However the wiring at the instrument panel does not match, so best I can come up with is it is a 2 with either a replacement or repaired loom or rover used non standard colours.

Wiring-memes 2 and 3 Am I going mad? 4 years 5 months ago #191815

Bit far for me then as I'm in Pembrokeshire :lol:

Anyone with a pscan near Suffolk that could help Darren out?
Robin ;)

Wiring-memes 2 and 3 Am I going mad? 4 years 5 months ago #191818

The quickest way to check is to look at the actual ECU. Viewed from above is it square or wedged.

I could pscan it for you but I am in Sussex.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT