Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188000

Anybody used one of these to repair a leaking flex pipe?

EXHAUST FLEXI PIPE CAT REPAIR PIPE FLEXI FOR MG ZR ZS ZT ZT-T TF MGF 98003
Buy It Now

It seems it might be easier than replacing the whole downpipe, especially given that the downpipe to cat nuts are rusted (FUBAR). Presumably you have to cut the downpipe appropriately to insert the repair bit.
Robin ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188003

dont bother they are rrubbish, just buy a complete flexi pipe and dont buy a headache.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188004

Thanks Graham for the feedback.

I’m not 100% certain which manifold and down pipe I have so will have to take a look before working out which one to buy. May go for a Toyosports one.
Robin ;)

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188007

Toyosport is not necessarily the best solution. I bought a toyosport ss downpipe and manifold to avoid this issue. However, the weld between the downpipe and flexi gave way, meaning I had to get it re-welded!
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188009

That's another good idea scotched then :nonod:

The first thing i need to do is get the car up on stands and have a look to see which downpipes Ive got and then take it from there.
Robin ;)

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188018

You'd have to remove the down pipe from the cat to cut the flexi section anyway so fubered cat nuts aren't a factor to consider any way.

I have just fitted a toyosport system, the downpipe was cheap as someone else tried and failed to fit it, no idea yet on how good it will be.

Unless your car is a mk1 it will have a 6 stud downpipe, a quick way to check is to the pipe coming out of the cat, if it is straight you have a mk1 so a 4 stud manifold, a 90' bend before the flange and it should be a 6 stud version.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188033

Unless your car is a mk1 it will have a 6 stud downpipe, a quick way to check is to the pipe coming out of the cat, if it is straight you have a mk1 so a 4 stud manifold, a 90' bend before the flange and it should be a 6 stud version.

Mine’s an early Mk2 so pre MEMS3 and has the bend on the box not the cat. I’ll report back on the number of manifold studs once I get under it but suspect it is a 4 stud version. What I’m not sure of is whether or not the manifold is original or an aftermarket one.
Robin ;)

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188035

If you replace the manifold and downpipe together, then you can fit the 6 bolt.
David

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188036

Mine is the 4 bolt version and looks like the standard fitment as far as I can tell.

Is there a significant advantage to fitting the 6 bolt version? I'm assuming removing the manifold makes the job that much more complicated, though it has been off recently so the bolts should come undone fairly easily.

If I do opt for replacing both the manifold and downpipe, any suggestions as to which one to buy? Given David's comments on the Toyo (which I was thinking about) what other options are there other than standard issue? Would there be a cost effective power increase in fitting a proper 4-2-1 system for example?
Robin ;)

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188051

Anyone know anything about uk-performance-parts as in this eBay ad.
STAINLESS RACE SPORT EXHAUST MANIFOLD & DOWNPIPE FOR ROVER MG MGF 1.8 VVC 95-00
Buy It Now

It looks very similar to the Toyosports spec to me and I wondered if it’s a Toyo being sold by another seller.

Any reason it wouldn’t fit a Mk2 1.8mpi as opposed to vvc?
Robin ;)

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188057

Mine is the 4 bolt version and looks like the standard fitment as far as I can tell.

Is there a significant advantage to fitting the 6 bolt version? I'm assuming removing the manifold makes the job that much more complicated, though it has been off recently so the bolts should come undone fairly easily.

If I do opt for replacing both the manifold and downpipe, any suggestions as to which one to buy? Given David's comments on the Toyo (which I was thinking about) what other options are there other than standard issue? Would there be a cost effective power increase in fitting a proper 4-2-1 system for example?

The 6 bolt version is much better. It is more secure and less likely to " blow ". This is common on the 4 bolt version. Fitting the manifold and down pipe isn't much more than fitting just the downpipe. There is supposed to be a power advantage to the 421 pipe but they are costly.
David

Flexi pipe repair 5 years 6 months ago #188058

Am I correct in thinking that the oxygen sensor is in the down pipe on the 6 bolt version but in the manifold on the 4 bolt variety?

If that is the case, is the lead on the sensor long enough to reach to the boss in the 6 bolt down pipe? Is the oxygen sensor the same one?

Edit: Given the unknowns above and despite David's advice :broon: which I'm sure is correct as always, I've decided to just replace like with like.
Robin ;)

Last edit: Post by cairnsys. Reason: Decision made!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.848 seconds