Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Headlights 6 years 1 month ago #184516

My Y reg MGF went through MOT today with one advisory. The passenger side headlight has become opacified and the car will need a new headlight. I am guessing that the best way to go about this would be to get a matched pair so that their luminosity is as close to equal as possible. Anyone have any experience of this? Are pairs of headlights easy enough to find? Is it possible to put Xenon bulbs in, and would thy be MOT legal? Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance folks.
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Headlights 6 years 1 month ago #184521

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
If it's the the glass, always worth a go with T Cut or rubbing compound.....
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Baird

Headlights 6 years 1 month ago #184523

Before spending out on new ones, you can try the really cheap option - toothpaste and a mircofibre. If that doesnt work you can buy a ''headlight restoration kit'' for £20 odd and that will probably get them looking like new.

Headlights 6 years 1 month ago #184524

F's dont normally suffer with the glass going "opaque"

This is normally an issue with plastic lenses such as the TF.

All you can do with glass lenses is clean them!

Usual issue with F's is the reflectors loosing their "chrome". Good ones are difficult to find.

Fix the faults before trying to upgrade, and LED, bi-Xenon etc should fail an MOT.

Headlights 6 years 1 month ago #184525

Hi, G0RSQ is correct. It is usually an issue with the reflectors losing the brightness of the chrome.
There is a company Birmingham way, “Dual Metallising” who will re silver the reflectors . Used to be about £100.00 a pair, but a lot cheaper than new units.
David

Headlights 6 years 1 month ago #184526

If it is the glass that is failed this is removable on the MGF headlight, held in with three clips.

I think Rimmers still have stocks if they need replacing but they were around £75 each last time I looked.

I did wonder if it is possible to effect a reasonable repair to the reflector by using aluminium heat reflective tape.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT