Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183595

So i replaced my Brake pads today on my 2003 160 TF, took it for a drive around the block and my engine light has come on.
I have a cheap code reader which does read one code but displays NA 01/01 instead of a fault code.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183597

I believe your obd scanner/dongle is not compatible with the car...na....not applicable?.....and na/01 isn't a fault code....or is someone about to tell us more?

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183598

U380/U480 scanner?...reading other posts about people having this code and it normally appears when they are using a u380/U480 scanner..what scanner are you using?.....

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183599

Yes it is the u480 im using, if i had a better scanner would it display a code for me?

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183602

Hi and welcome to the forum

Any OBD2 scanner should work on a 2003 car, I'd try the reader in another car.

I wouldn't panic just yet, it will clear after 5 complete ignition cycles after the fault has cleared.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183603

Yes it is the u480 im using, if i had a better scanner would it display a code for me?

Yes your OBD unit is not talking to the ECU. It took me three attempts to find a cheap dongle that would work on my 2004 TF.
I eventually found one that was recommended and it works fine.
You should be able to find out the fault when you can plug in. If you were working on your brakes beforehand that may give you a clue, maybe you have caught s sensor wire while the car was jacked up, check the connections to the pre and post cat sensors. Your ABS should be ok as that has its own fault light. Is the fault light flashing or permanently on?

Sundance

Re:Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183607

It was the front pads so I wasn’t anywhere near the cat, i was thinking abs but have read it has a separate light. The engine light is permanently on, not flashing.
My son has a Bluetooth obd dongle with an app on his phone, will give that one a go tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183608

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
I'm quite intrigued by this one, as its my understanding that OBD is mainly concerned with emissions issues, so it must either be coincidence or something disturbed maybe.

I'm a relative newcomer to the wonderful world of OBD, first bought a relatively cheap reader when my previous car, a Jaaaaaag, sprung the Effin Orange Engine Light on me. Turned out to be the preheat coil of Lamda sensor, upper front bank. Who knew? Who could figure that out without a clue? Black magic to an old Ford Crossflow/ BMC A Series/Triumph Turner Speed Twin expert knuckle-dragger like moi in my young spannering days.

Used the same OBD on the TF when Sue decided summat was amiss. At speeds greater than 80 It turned out.... :whistle: It told me 'misfire on cylinder 4 detected'. Did a 1 to 4 plug change as I had the cover off and coil pack swap: all sorted.

Modern electronics: highly beneficial for engine performance optimisation and also a pain in the ass.
My early days of motoring warning lights: Dynamo charging and oil pressure.
Yes I am that old.
Choke cable adjustment how-to anyone? :lol:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re:Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183646

OK so ive plugged a bluetooth dongle in and tried 2 different apps on android and both say no codes. Now the batteries flat!!
All i did was change my front brake pads, cars been fine up till then..... Guessed i should of just left it alone LOL.. Batteries on charge now

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183651

I had the light on when I took the car out after a 2 month layoff.

Finally tracked down my fleebay ELM327 reader (hidden in my rechargable battery box :-? ) and plugged it in. A few moments later P0170 came up,logged the fault and cleared the error off went the light. I used OBD Car Doctor, the free version. Tried Torque before but this program seemed a little better.

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183652

Thanks.. ill try again once the battery is charged and download car doctor app, just seems so odd that i get the engine light and a flat battery after changing the pads, all i did was change the front pads, drove it round the block, engine light on, next morning flat battery!!. Still love my MG though!!

Engine Light, help please 6 years 3 months ago #183655

I use the torque ap..heard it was good...so installed the ap on my android phone...easy to install and good displays.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT