Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179944

hi guys, well my tf 1.8 2002 just failed its mot, (1) the revs are sitting at 1000 it should be 800 , so took off the iac got some carb cleaner and gave it a good clean and the throttle body as well popped it back in and its still sitting at 1000 so cleaned up a spare:bat: swopped it over and still the revs are sitting at 1000, so with the engine running i removed the pipe between the iac and the throttle body expecting it to rev up or drop nah revs still stayed at a 1000 do you think i need to reset or do you think its something else ?

(2) problem my speedo has according to the garage stopped working and the petrol gauge seems to be stuck on 1/2 a tank, whipped the binnicle off to see if one of the connections has come loose also checked to make sure the connection at the side of the grearbox was ok it was , so do you have any ideas :bang:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179946

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Hi, it's my understanding that hot tick over is just a knats nadger under 1000 rpm: where ours sits anyway. Always seemed a little high to my old school mind. Others more sage may comment further.

No doubt others will have experienced and solved your other probs so I'll step back and have a ponder.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179948

875 is the ideal tickover on a hot engine.
Have you tried resetting the throttle position sensor?
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179949

The speedo is electronic and also controls the electric power assisted steering. If the power steering is still working then investigate the dial. If the power steering has stopped also then investigare the sender unit and wiring.

The fuel gauge stays at the actual reading even when the ignition is off.
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179950

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Hi, it's my understanding that hot tick over is just a knats nadger under 1000 rpm: where ours sits anyway. Always seemed a little high to my old school mind. Others more sage may comment further.

No doubt others will have experienced and solved your other probs so I'll step back and have a ponder.

Update re David's comment: ours runs about a needle width below 1000rpm, which I'd guess is about 900 or so.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179951

Another point is that unless you are using torque or other Obd2 reader to get the actual ecu reading then you will not know the Real tickover rate. The rev counter like all gauges on the car INDICATE a reading.
David

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179955

yes, swopped it over with one i know is good

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179956

Power steering is still working, but have discovered some other problems like a small pin hole in one of the hoses, so going to go through the car with a fine tooth comb, but thanks for getting back to me and for your help ta

Mot fail 6 years 8 months ago #179970

A pin hole will suck enough air to increase revs.

Fix this and do a IVC reset.

EPAS normally switches off durring MOT as it will detect an "error" durring the high revs part of the emissions test, running over 2000rpm while not moving.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT