Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Very hot rear drivers wheel 6 years 10 months ago #178865

Finally got my MG TF through the MOT on Friday and so surprised today to find that the rear drivers wheel is red hot after a 5 mile trip.

The car needed a lot of work and had been standing for about 6-8 months. I replaced the front discs and pads but haven't touched the rear.

Is this likely to be a seized caliper or something with the parking brake (which is pretty useless and amazed it got through MOT)?

Any suggestions on what to do to diagnose? Am hoping this doesn't turn out to be a big job - I was looking forward to driving the car having spent many hours underneath it for the past couple of months!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Very hot rear drivers wheel 6 years 10 months ago #178866

Jack the rear up make sure you have choked the front wheels release the handbrake and turn the wheel and see if it is binding could be the handbrake arm on the caliper seized or sticking
Brian
PS there is a section on this in the how to's
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Very hot rear drivers wheel 6 years 10 months ago #178867

Thanks Brian. I should have mentioned I have jacked up and turned the wheel. I can turn it relatively easily by hand - it's not free spinning but am guessing it would be pretty hard to turn at all if the brakes were seized on?

Very hot rear drivers wheel 6 years 10 months ago #178872

Could also be a tight wheel bearing.
Sundance

Very hot rear drivers wheel 6 years 10 months ago #178873

How would I know if was a wheel bearing vs brake issue? What's the best way to diagnose the problem? There was an acrid burning smell so thinking this is more likely to be brakes?

But a bit confused that the wheel seems to turn relatively freely by hand.

Very hot rear drivers wheel 6 years 10 months ago #178877

Sounds like a binding brake. Had a damaged Flexi pipe on the front of one car that caused similar problems.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT