Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF Front Central Jacking Point 7 years 2 weeks ago #177455

Having reacquired a trolley jack and axle stands, when the weather improves a bit, I want to jack up the front end, get underneath the car (suitably supported on the axle stands) and have a poke around to try to identify where an annoying rattle is coming from.
I have studied the How To Guide and just want to make sure I use the correct jacking point which seems to be right at the front of the car, in the middle. Is this identifiable in anyway? I assume it is a flattened, reinforced area but probably does not have an X marking the spot.
As always, any advice greatly received.
Bob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF Front Central Jacking Point 7 years 2 weeks ago #177467

I think it is the U shaped rod, not that I've used it.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

TF Front Central Jacking Point 7 years 2 weeks ago #177469

If you are not sure I'd jack it up on one side and put the stand in and then do the otherside.

No point bending something by jacking it wrong!

Also if the jack is coming from the front at tick over, it might be worth checking the front mesh grill. I've noticed them rattle on a few now....

TF Front Central Jacking Point 7 years 2 weeks ago #177476

As James has mentioned, there is a U bolt/bracket positioned centrally on the front of the subframe.

My MK2 F also has one on the rear subframe, but I think that one was omitted on the TF.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

TF Front Central Jacking Point 7 years 2 weeks ago #177482

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I don't think the rattle is the grill as it seems more towards the bulkhead. I originally thought it was inside the passenger side area but, having had a good probe around there everything seems to be tight and solid.
Just need a bit of sunshine and then I will have a look underneath.
Bob

TF Front Central Jacking Point 7 years 2 weeks ago #177486

On mine you can see the jacking point through the lower grill. It looks like a tab sticking down, And doesn't really look that strong but have had no problems with it.

I found the one at the back while underneath the car, it seems too far forward to be of much use or stability.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT