Sign In   Register

Topic

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176106

Having seen one in action I thought I would see about fitting one to my TF135.
On consulting the Rimmer catalogue I see from their VIN identifier guide (page 6) that I have a 2005 model year. According to the text on page 19 MG Rover introduced the coolant level sensor in 2004. Having checked my expansion tank and having had a feel round underrneath the tank I think I have a bog standard tank with no wiring coming out from the bottom. On my instrument panel on the right hand side there is what looks like a coolant warning light but this does not illuminate when you switch on the ignition.
So, does anyone know if there was a vehicle number from when MG did actually fit a coolant level sensor?
Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Lolarm 2? I saw this in action and it looks much easier to fit than the one from Rimmers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176107

Can't help with the VIN request but lolarm is not that great, I had one but now I have a tank with the sensor built in and my own electronic s driving a buzzer and led, B&G sell the best one and it is easy to fit not much more work than the Lolarm, you get what you pay for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Essex

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176109

Hi,
take off the expansion tank cap and look into the tank. You may see a round float unit that slides up and down an internal post which is part of the tank. If you can see this then you have the latest expansion tank, and this float acts as the sensor.
Underneath the tank there should be a sensor unit which pushes into an orrifice on the underside. Wires then attach to this unit.

If you have the tank with no float, then take out the wire cover in the boot and search for the wires/connector unit that should be tucked away somewhere. If you find this, then you need the latest tank and sensor unit.

If not, then you need the whole kit from Brown and Gammons, I would recommend this over the Lolarm.

Regards
David

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176111

I have a Lo-Larm 2 fitted and it seems OK. I have no experience of any of the other solutions.
Robin ;)

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176118

The B&G sensor kit is the one I fitted - it has been totally reliable and has saved my engine (sudden loss of coolant when the slightly leaking inlet manifold gasket - I had been warned - decided to quit). It's very straight forward to fit - just like most jobs on F/TFs, it takes a bit of time.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176129

Thanks for all the feedback.
I definitely do not have a tank with the built in sensor.
The Rimmer and B&G kits, I believe, both need the coolant to be drained/emptied to fit the new tank. This could be an option if the wiring loom is already in place and connecting to that would activate the warning light on the instrument panel. How easy is it to spot whether the wiring is there, as I cannot see anything obvious.
My choice could come down to what is the simpler job and the LoLarm2 seems easier.
If I go down that route I was thinking the warning light perhaps could be made to fit one of the switch blanks, rather than the side of the driver's footwell.

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176130

There is no need to drain the system with the B&G kit (I think that's what Rimmers sell by the way). You simply need to remove the current header tank with coolant and insert the new one then top it up. After that you wire the sensor which is a simple plug in to the live feed on the reversing light circuit (the required tail with plugs is in the kit) and all that remains then is to run the cable to the cockpit with the alarms (light and sound) which you will have to do with either kit. One advantage with the B&G kit is you get a brand new header tank and pressure cap. The warning light is designed to fit in to a switch blank although there are other options.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176132

Thanks for that info, I will go and have a look for the reversing light circuit and hopefully find something to plug in to.

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176133

Hi Bob,
as per the discussion previous, this equipment is really easy to fit and the instructions are very good. Do not be phased by it all. I am sure that you can view the fitting instructions prior to buying the equipment, there is a PDF of the instructions on the B & G website.
I syphoned off the coolant in the header tank before taking this unit out, then used the fluid to top it back up again.
The live feed is taken from the wiring above the gearbox, and is just an unplugging of a bullet connector and re plugging into a link wire, you just need a torch or lamp to illuminate the colour trace on the wire. A couple of hours and it is done.

Cheers

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176141

Have had a good look around the engine bay and the only loose plug I can see is to the right of the coolant tank and is part of the wiring run along the top edge of the engine bay, nearest to you, as you look into the engine bay.
Now, if that is the plug that the coolant level sensor would plug into, and thus would activate the circuitry that hopefully is pre installed then, the B&G kit would be a doddle.
So, back to my original question. Is it likely the wiring is already there and have I correctly identified the plug in point?
Any thoughts/answers gratefully received.
Bob

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176142

Hi Bob,
If this is the connector, then all you need is the upgraded expansion tank with the sensor already installed.
Look on e bay for Mgf expansion tank, and some of these come with the sensor installed for around £68.00.
I am sure that this is the correct cable, and should be long enough to travel underneath the coolant tank.

If you look for just the coolant low level sensor, you will see the end that takes the cable connector which should marry up with your cable end.
Cheers
Dave

Low Coolant Level Sensor 7 years 2 months ago #176143

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info. The plug connector I found is only an inch or so long, and just sort of comes out of the main loom with a plug on the end. It definitely would not reach under the tank.
I've seen those tanks and sensors on Ebay and as there doesn't seem to be a cable that comes with them I'm guessing there's a cable connector that needs to be bought to connect the sensor to the plug I found (assuming it's the right one).
Perhaps I should contact the seller and have a chat with them.
Once again, thanks for your input.
Bob

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT