Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG TF Losing water - help!!!! 7 years 8 months ago #171245

Hi guys.

Joined here in the hope that someone can give me a bit of advice.
I have been given a 2004 MG TF, 62000 miles on the clock and head gasket done etc 10000 miles ago.
Right, checked oil and water and then set off. 6 miles down the road keeping an eagle eye on temp. guage as advised it went up to the 3/4 mark. Pulled over within 30 seconds and turned engine off to look in the mirror and see bellows of what looked like smoke coming from behind me. Jumped out and opened the boot to see it was steam coming from the header tank. Left it for ages and when I took the cap off no water left whatsoever. Engine sounded fine so quite happy not hgf. Filled it up with water again, set off incredibly slowely but after about a mile temp. gauge went up to halfway so stopped and same again, lost all water. Gave up at that point so as not to risk damaging the engine and got recovered home.

The car had been stood for a few months without even being started, is there anything obvious i should be looking at. Hoping it's something simple - ie. airlock / split hose / thermostat stuck but any ideas?!!!

Suzi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG TF Losing water - help!!!! 7 years 8 months ago #171246

The pressure relief cap on the header tank is often the first thing to go wrong, there are both OEM & aftermarket versions available, most of the aftermarket ones are rubbish!

Once you've lost coolant you'll need to bleed the trapped air out of the cooling system.
There are 3 bleeding points, you should be able to find a "how to" guide on this forum.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskas929

MG TF Losing water - help!!!! 7 years 8 months ago #171247

Try refiling and bleeding the system and then turn the heater and fan on full. Drive the car and watch the temp gauge, if the temp stays under half and the heater is hot I would suspect the radiator has a blockage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: whiskas929

MG TF Losing water - help!!!! 7 years 8 months ago #171256

Hi and welcome to the forum Suzi

I think Cobber covered the basics.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT