Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Heated rear window connector tabs 7 years 8 months ago #171092

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Apologies in advance to Sundance, Talking Cars and all the rest if you hard men (and ladies) out there...I'm about to ask about hard tops.... :spank:

I have a hard top for Roxy. The two pronged tab that allows connection to the heated rear window electrics has been broken off the glass, so obviously the HRW doesn't work.

I've read all sorts of forums and the advice seems to be that electricity conducting glue is garbage and the only route is to solder the tab back onto the glass. Has anyone done this, and if so, what's the procedure for prepping and then soldering?

Thanks in advance..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Heated rear window connector tabs 7 years 8 months ago #171095

Do you have any soldering experience?

You need to get both parts spotless, rought the surface slightly, warm the glass to avoid thermal shock,use loads of flux and solder.

When I repaired mine I kept the top in the kitchen over night to warm up on the heated floor (wife was away), I may even have used her hair drier for additional warming.

Good luck.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SundanceUK

Heated rear window connector tabs 7 years 8 months ago #171096

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
You're a man after my own heart. My wife still doesn't understand that the dish washer at max temp is perfect for a final degrease of MG and Land Rover bits..and I do (most times) remove the dishes.
Did you lay solder on the glass first and then solder the tab onto that?

Heated rear window connector tabs 7 years 8 months ago #171097

IIRC I put some solder on the glass first, kept it liquid and added the connector.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko

Heated rear window connector tabs 7 years 8 months ago #171102

Yes that's the best way, coat both parts in fresh solder and then sweat them together. If you use a soldering iron with a large tip, the larger tips will get the heat into the joint fast and will be kinder to the glass.
I use a Portosol butane gas iron with interchangeable tips. It the dogs, as you can take it anywhere, lasts about 40 mins on a single shot of gas and comes with a hot knife, heatgun and blowtorch tips as well as the various solder bits.
Good luck with the job!

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko, Duncraig

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT