Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169164

Hi

Have just been able to start driving again after surgery on my shoulder,seems that I have missed all the good weather already !
Took my 04 MG TF 135 (16 " Alloys and 4 pot brakes)for a blast on a dual carriage way in the rain,it was quite hairy. Since I have had the car I have not done many miles in it,and have mainly used it for B roads in the dry.
As a Vauxhall car salesman I am used to driving new modern cars, so maybe I am expecting to much.
When hitting a pot hole or bump at speed the car tends to lurch about, and seems very unstable at 70+ speeds.Took the car to work for MOT today,flew through.
It was given a good going over on the shaker plate,no play could be found any where on the front end,the rear seemed to check out ok as well.
It has Avon ZZ3 215/40 ZR 16 86 W on the rear, and Evergreen EH23 195/45R 16 W on the front.When it was on the shaker plate there was a lot of sidewall flex in the evergreen tyres,I know that they are not on the list of recommended tyres,but we sell them at work and they are not a bad tyre.(these were on car when bought).Both sets are fairly new with 6 -7 mm all round.
I know the Avons will be stiff side walls,but I cant get ZZ3 any more,and they never made the size for the front.
The car is just used as a bit of fun and to keep my hand in in looking after it,so I don't want to buy 4 tyres.
What do you think would be the best match to put on the front to match the ZZ3's I am looking at Avon ZV 7,Toyo TR 1 (or will I have a problem depending on compound) Falkens or Nexan N Fera SU1.
To match I think that they will have to have stiff sidewalls like the ZZ3.
Does any one have any experience with these tyre combinations?
I am also finding the suspension very bone shaking,thinking about fitting the LE 500 set up,has any one fitted to their TF ? Wondered it it made much of a difference.
Any comments or help would be appreciated .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169167

Hi,
I've Avon ZZ5's on the rear and have been running Toyo Proxes on the front for over 5000 miles. No problems at all. (Same wheel / brake set up as you.)
Get rid of the Evergreens asap. I had the soft walled Goodyear F1's on the front when I bought Roxy and she was scary in the dry, never mind the wet. When the F1's came off, the inside walls showed clear damage caused by flexing.
Have also gone the Bilsteins route - which has totally transformed the driving experience... Worth every penny.
Winko
The following user(s) said Thank You: VX54NEW

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169168

Have you checked the pressure of your tyres?It can make a big difference to the handling.

The pressures and sizes should be 195/45 ZR16 (front) - 26 lbf/in ......... 1.8 bar
215/40 ZR16 (rear) - 36 lbf/in ......... 2.5 bar

Can't say I've tried any other tyres on my TF 160, I have toyo proxes 4's on my car and am happy with them.I don't think they are easy to get hold of.

I had Maxxis MAZ1's on my last car a VVC F and they were good too.

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169169

The ride on my 02 TF160 was greatly improved by fitting the MY05 soft ride kit.
Available from GT-MG spares ltd, Bloxwich.

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169170

Thanks Winko

Are the Proxys that you have made in Japan or the later Malaysian manufactured? I am concerned that the later spec from Malaysia have softer side walls as loads of owners have had problems mixing them with older Proxys ,and I would be back to square one.
Avon don't make a ZZ5 in 195/45 16 only in the later ZV7.
I could not justify the cost of a bilstein set up. A 2005 LE set up £395 would be 1/2 the cost of bilsteins.
Tyre pressure were checked and correct.

Last edit: Post by VX54NEW.

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169171

Mine are the latest spec, so Malaysian.
I've had absolutely no problem mixing these with the Avons. I run them at 28 psi and had a really good look at them during Roxy's MOT this week. They're in perfect condition with no stress marks and even wear - and that's after over 5000 miles of mainly high speed A and B road hustling.
Handling wise, she's planted at all speeds, including those that would lead to a difficult conversation with der Politzei.
Know what you mean about the cost of Bilsteins. For me it was worth it, and meant TMW had less cash to waste on her equine friends.....I've heard good things about the LE set up. Just wanted Roxy to have the suspension she was designed for, as couldn't believe how poor the dampers are that MG fitted at new. I've been thrilled with the investment.

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169175

A note of caution,guys. :dry:

When discussing tyres, you need to be aware that the F and TF are very different animals when it comes to what you can fit. :yesnod:

The F is much more tolerant of mixed tyres front to back, and also will perform OK on some cheaper tyres.

From the forum feedback it's clear that the TF is much more finicky about its 'boots'.

Remember that the suspension is completely different on the two cars.

Interestingly, even with Suplex suspension, the F handles well with mixed tyres front to back. Nexen N6000 front - Uniroyal rainsport 2 on the rear. :broon:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: VX54NEW, Winko

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169176

Good reminder David. However, as the initial post was about a TF, we should be ok. Must try an F one day.

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169180

Tyres again!
you pay your money you takes your choice.
I ran Kuhmo's on my TF with good wet performance no complaints but I did wear them out in about 15k miles.
Tried rainsport 3's admittedly on the rear only, they put me in a ditch so no thanks (The car is my daily drive up to Buxton where it rains 360 days a year and snows the others so always have rain tyres. See previous thread about it)
Currently running Toyo'son the 135 as generally recommended on the forum,good in the dry but not happy about the wet grip.
The 160 has arrived with a mixed bag of cheap and nasty, middle of the road and top end so I will have to swop out for a full set. However at the moment it's pants in the wet!

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169187

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Toyo Proxes from work.
Hope they work ok with the rear Avons.!!
Will post the outcome .
Thanks for all your input.

Tyre Choice 7 years 10 months ago #169344

Had a pair of Toyo's(Malaysian) fitted :woo2:
This seems to have transformed the car,so much better.
Have not tried warp speed in the wet yet,but it now seems to be on rails.
Next job is to sort out ride quality,even the wife commented on how bad the suspension was after her maiden voyage in it.(a good excuse)
I am thinking std springs with spax adjustable's and poly mounts. Still get change from £450,think this will be a better investment than an LE 500 set up for nearly the same money.
Are there any members that run a Spax and std spring set up ,any comments would be appreciated. I have SP 2 (16" 11 spokes and 4 pot brakes)
Winko said he happily runs on Bilsteins,can I ask with what spring set up?

Time to start saving.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT